× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Things to look for or avoid when buying a used surfski

• Mark_D
  • Visitor
4 years 5 months ago #35461 by Mark_D
This topic would be mostly for beginners to the sport. 
I'm wondering what things to look for when buying a used surfski, and what things to look for and to avoid in a used surfski.? 
I would find some sort of checklist of things to look for very helpful, and possibly save more inexperienced paddlers time and money. 
Thanks for your wisdom and knowledge. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #35462 by mickeyA
1). Is it watertight?  Not sure how to check on quick inspection (others here will know), but I would look at rudder tube on hull and make sure it at least looks intact, not repaired.  Ask if it leaks as most ski owners are honest.
2). Adjustable foot boards.
3). Is it stable/wide enough?  19” min, I would say, for beginner.
4). Make sure the steering cable tubes are visible and firmly attached.  Two attachments points in front, two in back.

There is nothing more frustrating to me than finding and fixing a leak or having steering cable tubes become unattached (major repair), while having knees too high or not being to reach the foot board, or having ski too tippy makes it almost unusable.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
4 years 5 months ago #35463 by mickeyA
1). Is it watertight?  Not sure how to check on quick inspection (others here will know), but I would look at rudder tube on hull and make sure it at least looks intact, not repaired.  Ask if it leaks as most ski owners are honest.
2). Adjustable foot boards.
3). Is it stable/wide enough?  19” min, I would say, for beginner.
4). Make sure the steering cable tubes are visible and firmly attached.  Two attachments points in front, two in back.

There is nothing more frustrating to me than finding and fixing a leak or having steering cable tubes become unattached (major repair), while having knees too high or not being to reach the foot board, or having ski too tippy makes it almost unusable.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

Latest Forum Topics