× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

2 week rental, 2 lesson beginner tips

More
15 years 10 months ago #2197 by Beanboy
Spent 90 minutes in an Epic V10 Sport surfski, fit me decently. Didn't fall in since it was flatwater and was only giving a little rotation, figure my balance is pretty average. Also new to the wing paddle, and was fighting the motion at first, but got the hang of it, at least in my head.

Kicking it up a notch to see if I want to pursue purchasing one by taking a couple of lessons, which comes with unlimited rental for two weeks.

Goal over the two week period/lessons is to work on getting the hang of paddling a surfki on flatwater with a wing paddle, as well as try and get a remount down.

Any tips for a beginner that is going to be doing a lot of swimming starting on 6/11?

How about questions or comments as to what I should ask the instructor?

Thanks!
-B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #2198 by superted
Add a few quick sessions per week to paddling really small harbour/ lake bump (as well as the flat you describe). It will help to get yr balance quicker and as that improves then try and add slightly bigger bump. Gradually make the flat time longer and longer to increase yr fitness (conditioning).

• Seaugi
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #2199 by Seaugi
Replied by Seaugi on topic Re: 2 week rental, 2 lesson beginner tips
www.surfski.info/content/blogcategory/47/97/

Read and get to the know this cold.
Then read it again.

The big thing is to remember that its fun. Training partners who understand that beer is a good post race bevy are important.

More
15 years 10 months ago #2200 by Beanboy
Thanks for the tips, I've read most of the guides, but will stare at them for a while this evening.

If I do end up getting one, I've got a nice spot that's protected ocean, but big enough to get some decent chop. I'll plan on hitting that sooner rather than later to try and get my sea balance down.

Thanks again,
-B

Latest Forum Topics