× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Seat hight

More
15 years 7 months ago #2483 by Ivan
Seat hight was created by Ivan
Guys I am just trying my hand at surfski, coming from a flatwater background. Borrowing a V10 (Thanks Oscar!) which is considerably more stable than my racing K1. The problem I have is that in my K1 the seat is significantly higher than my feet where in the ski they are at the same hight which feels very uncomfortable to me. The temptation is to pad out the seat area to raise me up.(I would like about 2" of padding)
My question is this. Does anyone/everyone do this as a matter of course, or am I being stupid and will find I need to get lower when the going gets rough?
How high should I go??

Thanks for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #2486 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re:Seat hight
Bum pads are very commonly used. Usually about 1-2cm.

How high to go? The higher you go, the less stable you will be so go as high as you feel comfortable.

Comming from an unstable K1, you have an advantage over many of us in that your balance is probably excellent.

The effects of instability are subtle and insidious - you'll lose efficiency in the stroke long before you actually feel tippy. But then you probably already know that!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
15 years 7 months ago #2491 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re:Seat hight
Ivan, Most paddlers who use both K1 and ski get used to the difference in seat height. It will just take more time in the ski for it to feel normal.

I think most ski paddlers sit on something 1 cm to 3 cm high. I've never seen a anything higher than that.

Also, the seat height in the ski might feel a bit better when you get used to slightly higher knees in the ski.

More
15 years 7 months ago #2502 by yhomas
Replied by yhomas on topic Re:Seat hight
Seat pads are very common. For flatwater races, I have padded up my S1X Special quite a bit--certainly over 1 inch.

I have found that after a while, I got used to the lower (unpadded) seat and it gradually became more comfortable (less un-natural)--but fundamentally, I agree that it is nice to have your backside higher than your feet. Also, you should use a shorter paddle for your ski compared to your K1.

More
15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #2504 by garykroukamp
Replied by garykroukamp on topic Re:Seat hight
Why do you reckon on using a shorter paddle for surfski vs K1? I use the same for both.
Last edit: 15 years 7 months ago by garykroukamp.

More
15 years 7 months ago #2505 by yhomas
Replied by yhomas on topic Re:Seat hight
In a K1, your seat is higher up off the water, so it is natural to have a paddle that is a bit longer.

More
15 years 6 months ago #2557 by westo
Replied by westo on topic Re:Seat hight
garykroukamp, How long is your paddle?

www.propertyscience.com.au
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
15 years 6 months ago #2558 by postal256
Replied by postal256 on topic Re:Seat hight
I paddle with an 1" or so pad in my Fenn Mako Millennium seat for the same reason. I also keep a .5" pad in my car in case the water is a bit more dicey. I'd never paddle it without a pad of some sort (at that sunken position, sitting on hard fiberglass bucket seat kills my sit bones, and I feel like I slouch more).

Latest Forum Topics