× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

New ski: To buy or not to buy

More
15 years 2 months ago #2911 by wmongie
When I started paddling 2 months ago, I made the mistake of buying a cheap boat (Stingray 1 with a terrible paint job) with the usual excuses of 'I don't know whether I will enjoy it', I'm not sure if I'm going to use it regularly enough' etc. Well, after 2 months of paddling I can think of nothing else and I go paddling every single day!

The ski is very tippy and it feels very slow. Although I am feel I am improving quickly, I'm still not a great paddler. I've been looking at different options for a new boat but my question is this: Will sticking with this ski force me to improve more rapidly? I have been thinking that if I stick with it for a few more months, I might be able to skip a truly 'intermediate' ski like a Fenn XT and buy something 'more professional' instead like an Elite or a Mako Carbon. Am I overestimating my ability or is this a reasonable course to follow? I suppose my question is, do you have to go through the motions of having an intermediate ski or can I skip to the next level by cutting my teeth on this terribly ugly, tippy tugboat I'm on at the moment?

I'd appreciate any advice.
Wayne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2913 by AndrewN
The new generation of skis are much more stable than the ones of the early 2000's. If you have never paddled before two months ago I would say maybe go for the V10 Sport, Fenn XT or Red 7 Surf 60.

Skis like the V10, Mako 6 and Red 7 Pro 70 are less stable than the abve and if you only have two months experience it may be frustrating when the sea gets bumpy because you will be bracing a lot.

Where are you situated? If in Durban, definitely go for an intermediate ski but in Cape Town it's normally flatter so maybe you can get away with something faster.

You must try to paddle them all - just ask people you see paddling the ski you are interested in if you can try it when they are finished training.

Another option is the new Synergy from Custom Kayaks. Apparently it is very stable but as fast as the Mako 6's etc. I haven't tried it but it's an option.

Lastly, you must also match your ski to your weight etc.
I paddle a Pro 70 but I weigh 75 kg's on a heavy day so in a ski with more volume I sometimes feel very bouncy so keep in mind that you cannot take another person's description/experiences in a ski. You must form your own idea from paddling the boat.

Good luck, if you in Durban let me know and you can try my ski.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2914 by wmongie
Thanks for the feedback Andrew. I have actually been thinking about a V10 Sport and have been trying to find some info about the build quality of the Brian's Kayaks V10 sport which is manufactured here. I also read the excellent review of the synergy on the website but I haven't met anyone in Cape Town who owns one. If anyone else had tried it, maybe you could give me some advice on the Synergy?

I live in Gordon's Bay, Cape Town and although the sea isn't as flat as in Table Bay, I don't think it's unreasonably choppy. Maybe someone who paddles regularly in False bay could help me out here?

I weigh about 75kg. I have a feeling that my current ski is too buoyant for my weight and this isn't helping my progress. Obviously this problem is magnified when it gets a bit bumpy.

Something I forgot to ask in my previous post was: am I hindering my progress by sticking to the older ski or is it a positive thing that I'm being pushed to my limit every time I go for a paddle? On one hand, I feel that my balance must be improving, while on the other hand, maybe my form is suffering due to my spending most of my energy and concentration on staying upright all the time. At the end of the day this also becomes a mental battle and after capsizing a few times, my confidence and energy levels get so low that I simply can't stay up anymore.

Thanks again for you advice.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2915 by nell
Wayne, you ask good questions - they are also very common questions ,i.e. what ski to start out in as well as the more important one of will it be advantageous in the long run to start tippy and get used to it or to start stable, learn how to paddle, then go for a tippier ski.

In a best case scenario, I think it's best to start out in a more stable ski so that you can take flatwater balance out of the equation as soon as possible. Learn proper technique, learn safety, learn how to read and surf the waves, and learn how to have fun on that stable ski (like the V10 Sport, XT, etc). Next, try to improve your balance in the ski by sitting on progressively higher seatpads or by borrowing tippier skis. Then make the move over the tippier racing ski one or two seasons later. I think that most paddlers will be happier progressing this way from a stable to tippy ski as opposed to starting out in a ski that is too tippy which will thus slow their progression in learning technique and waveriding skills. The only real exceptions to the above would be in a young paddler who is able to get out on the water with others nearly every day of the week.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2918 by cvh
I had to smile when reading this thread, as we all have probably gone through the same process! So let me add my 5 cents worth, having been in your position not too long ago.

The main aim of starting out MUST be to have fun. It?s about knocking around in the surf, catching waves, getting your technique sorted out, feeling how the ski behaves on bumps, getting comfortable and being out on the blue stuff. And if it means hitting the surfski school for a couple pointers, go for it (you can?t go wrong with Dawid Mocke as a coach!).

Progressing too quickly from a ?beginners? boat to a fully fledged racing ski is going to kill the fun element, and frustrate the hell out of you. Though the one thing you will learn quickly is the remount!

Speed comes from stability. Having to brace every 4th stroke doesn?t do much for forward momentum. There are plenty guys running mid(ish) field on intermediate boats that are able to plough on when the conditions get tough, and leave the guys on tippier skis battling it out with the chop. Just remember that the sea is rarely flat.

The XT/Mentor skis are great intermediate boats, and they are fast enough to keep you interested, and stable enough to have fun. There is a huge market for them, so if you decide to upgrade, you won?t have any problems selling it.

Hey, test them all ? but I would go for the Mentor.

Btw, I think Custom Kayaks have just appointed a new agent in Cape Town (Sean Rice?), phone Mark Lewin to find out (031 312 1711). The Synergy is a killer boat, picked mine up on Friday:) That extra bouncy makes it hook up the bumps very easily.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2924 by matt606
Pop into Southern Swells (it's in Gordon's Bay, opposite the Spur). Speak to Kyle (the owner), he's got a few demo boats you can try out and will be able to offer you some good advice. Good luck.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2934 by wmongie
Thanks. I know Kyle and have spent many hours shamelessly soliciting advice from him! In fact, my main reason for posting this thread was to give him a break and get some advice from someone else! He gives great advice though and is an asset to the paddling community in Gordon's Bay. If you're in the area and keen on some help or equipment, Southern Swells is the place to go.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2935 by wmongie
Good advice. Thanks. Let me know how you find the Synergy. I'm keen to hear about how the 'normal' guys find the stability and speed etc. Rob's article was great but I think he downplays his paddling ability and therefore his not falling out of the boat is different to my not falling out of the boat!

• StuartXpat
  • Visitor
15 years 2 months ago #2936 by StuartXpat
Replied by StuartXpat on topic Re:New ski: To buy or not to buy
Do try the Synergy - I gave it to my surfski class to try and they loved it. People who normally paddle an XT are very comfortable on it.

Latest Forum Topics