× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Keeping the sholders down

More
13 years 8 months ago #4909 by Beanboy
As I work on my forward stroke, noticing a tendency for my shoulders to raise unless I actively think about dropping them. Any tips as to how I can improve my shoulder positioning to keep them down?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #4911 by Cameron
Hi Beanboy
I'm defintely not an expert, but from people of watched with the same problem their shoulders tend to come up when they are going flat out. They get all tensed up trying to go fast and then their shoulders come up.

When they relaxed and just went at a nice steady pace they were able to keep their shoulders down.

Haven't seen you paddle but would suggest that when working on correcting your stroke you slow it right down and just try and relax. Once it becomes habit you can slowly increase the pace and still keep form.

And preferably get someone to video so you can see how your technique is improving.

Hope that helps

Cam

More
13 years 8 months ago #4913 by ccchappell
Hi,
Not sure if would be same for you, but I have a similar problem with shoulders hunching up. Had a lesson with Ben Lawry few weeks ago, and for me the problem was actually the elbow of my top hand was rotated too far up/out. As I brought my top arm across my body, my corresponding shoulder would hunch up. Ben had me rotate my elbow more down towards the deck (about 90 degrees for me), and instantly the mechanics of my shoulder would now stay incredibly flatter as my top hand moved across my body. This also helps me keep my top hand higher as I finish the stroke due to my shoulder not "binding" at the end.

Have no idea if this is of help, but sure has worked great for me!! I'm a huge fan of getting a lesson (with video as Cam mentions)if you have access to great instructors like Ben.

Good luck!!
Chris

More
13 years 8 months ago #4958 by Beanboy
Thanks for the reply folks, going to try and work a lot on this issue this week on some local flatwater.

Chris, I think I was in the same Ben Lawry clinic as you...was it on the Charles? Was actually at the class during the onshore portion of the clinic I realized how I was activating my shoulder muscles versus more of the core muscles.

Latest Forum Topics