× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

k1 vs surfski technique

More
13 years 7 months ago #5117 by zachhandler
I have been paddling a k1 for years and have just started paddling a surfski. I am having a tough time adjusting to the seating position. It feels like I have to sit more upright in the ski, rather than with a slight forward lean as i do in a K1. I think I get less power in this position. Does anybody have any knowledge/experience with this? Is there a difference in technique between the two boat types?

Thanks
Zach

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #5121 by Rightarmbad
Try running your legs shorter.
Depends on the boat, some feel like you are sitting uphill.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by Rightarmbad.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5124 by russ1
Replied by russ1 on topic Re:k1 vs surfski technique
I am also making a transition from "flatwater" footplate/stick steer kayaks to sit on-top pedal steer skis and having similar issues. They are twofold: First, yes, the lower seating is taking time to get used to for sure. Whenever possible (ie, suitable water conditions), I put 2cm foam pad under my butt (covered in plastic so I can still get rotation). I haven't stuck it to the bucket; it doesn't move around under my butt; but it makes a significant difference for me in feeling like I am "over the stoke" rather than sitting in a well.

The second issue for me is the footplate. The one in my ski isn't big enough for my big feet and I can only get leg drive by pushing on my heels. I have ordered a bigger footplate that will allow more of my foot to be on the plate. Until it arrives, I have adopted a novel workaround that is working a treat. I just put an old pair of othortics in my kayak shoes. This gives me more foot arch, I presume, and more foot contact with the footplate. It has improved my leg drive, and paddling comfort, immeasurably. I figure over time my body and brain will adapt to the different ski set up, but this is helping lots with the transition.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5128 by AndrewN
Replied by AndrewN on topic Re:k1 vs surfski technique
Hi Zach

What ski have you got and what K1 are you using? Where are you based?

The obvious issue with lifting the seat with foam is the loss in stability. Also, you'll see thatnearly all ski paddlers (including the elites) don't have plastic on top of the foam as it gets too slippery in hairy conditions and you actually want the grip of your butt on the closed cell foam.
I have a 1/2 inch / 1 cm closed cell foam pad just for comfort but my ski is designed to feel like a K1 so don't need to be higher than that.

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #5130 by zachhandler
The K1 I paddle is a very old Westside Boat Shop Javelin

It is a great boat.

The Ski is a v12. I paddle in Minnesota, USA.

I have tried a 1cm foam pad that helps a bit. It does make it less stable though...

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by zachhandler. Reason: insert link

Latest Forum Topics