Re: Paddle choice

More
16 years 2 months ago #1073 by onnopaddle
Re: Paddle choice was created by onnopaddle
Nehmine Martin,

Just checked the Epic site ... Guess I have had my head down too long.

Aloha,
pog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 months ago #1074 by MFB
Replied by MFB on topic Re: Paddle choice
Zsolt Szadovski and Carter Johnson both use Kajner.(The Kajner 2 L (745 m2) and the Kajner 2 M (725) m2) The shaft is made by the same guy who made the Brasca split shaft design, Isvan Szabo. I emailed Zsolt before regarding the Braca 4 max and min and he advised me to get the min since its similar to what he uses.

A canadian paddler suggested the Braca 8 due to the softer catch. It makes sense as its hard to get the perfect catch every time if you're out in the ocean and doing distances beyong 10km.

I believe the fenn 4 and braca 4 min are very similar as per the replies on the other thread.

More
16 years 2 months ago #1075 by rojo
Replied by rojo on topic Re: Paddle choice
Hi,
from personal experience I would not recommend the Braca 8 for ocean paddling, especially not for surfing conditions.
The major problem of this blade seems to be, that it dives instantly if your doing a low brace or are just putting the paddle in your lap and it touches the water. You have to keep the front edge up by actively turning your wrists to stop the blade from burying. This was experienced and considered a problem by most paddlers who tried this blade and to whom I talked.

The second point I did not like about it in rough conditions is that the shape is rather long and thin. I found it quite hard to use in hectic situations and the tip catches easily on wind chop. Overall it seemed difficult for me to get a clear catch in rough conditions with such a long blade.

For me shorter and wider blades work better in rough conditions. Although I prefer a hard catch nowadays I started paddling with a soft catch design. This was a classic parallel sided blade very similar to the original Rasmussen shape.
Currently I am using a Braca 2 min (still big) and a medium Burton blade.

Cheers, Rolf

• nell
  • Visitor
16 years 2 months ago #1076 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re: Paddle choice
I agree with Rolf in that the Bracsa 8 probably isn't a great choice for ski paddling for two reasons. 1. It's got a huge surface area. The 8 min is 770, and the mid and larger versions are quite a bit larger. 2. The blade is so long and thin that I could see it being cumbersome and getting in the way of paddling on rough water. For example, I use a 209 Epic mid or similar, and I had to use a 222 Bracsa 8 just so that I could get my grip wide enough to be able to hold onto the shaft. It's a funny blade to me. It looks odd in its length and narrowness. But, surprisingly, it really feels pretty good (but big) on flatwater. My impression is that it would make a better sprinters blade than a marathon blade.

The Bracsa 7 min (725) is a very nice blade with a pretty firm - but not gorilla size - catch.

More
16 years 2 months ago #1077 by yhomas
Replied by yhomas on topic Re: Paddle choice

Zsolt Szadovski and Carter Johnson both use Kajner.(The Kajner 2 L (745 m2) and the Kajner 2 M (725) m2) The shaft is made by the same guy who made the Brasca split shaft design, Isvan Szabo. I emailed Zsolt before regarding the Braca 4 max and min and he advised me to get the min since its similar to what he uses.

A canadian paddler suggested the Braca 8 due to the softer catch. It makes sense as its hard to get the perfect catch every time if you're out in the ocean and doing distances beyong 10km.

I believe the fenn 4 and braca 4 min are very similar as per the replies on the other thread.

Carter uses the Kajner 7: kajner.hu/?cat=kajaklap?t&prod=Kajner%207&lang=en and has told me that he prefers a "harder catch" type of paddle.

More
16 years 2 months ago #1078 by MFB
Replied by MFB on topic Re: Paddle choice

Carter uses the Kajner 7: kajner.hu/?cat=kajaklap?t&prod=Kajner%207&lang=en and has told me that he prefers a "harder catch" type of paddle.

Ah ok then. I just got that info from Kajner Gy?rgy of Kajner Paddles.

Any feedback regarding the Braca 4 min? I previously used the Braca 2 min but it was just too big for sea paddling.

More
16 years 2 months ago #1079 by Trilobite
Replied by Trilobite on topic Re: Paddle choice
I've been using the Bracsa VIII for a while now, coming off a DB Designs (similar to a IV, Epic mid, etc.). I've not really had a problem with catching the lip in conditions (but what constitutes 'conditions' here on the East Coast is quite different from what our friends in Oz and SA experience...). Positives of the paddle are the smooth catch-nice when you're tired, and the long blade for me gives me a measure of stability in the small, confused washing machine style action we see so frequently. The softer catch leaves me less fatigued over longer distances. That said, the length of the blade does somewhat urge a longer paddle to get proper arm span; my hands are right to the very edge of the blade ferrule. I also find I have a tendency to hold on to the stroke too long due to the extra blade length, and have to make an early conscious effort to exit it-more so than my other paddle. The hose clamp grips like a vice; but cover it up with old innertubes or tape lest you gouge the heck out of your ski when remounting, carrying, etc.

"Nice? It's the only thing," said the Water Rat, solemnly, as he leaned forward for his stroke. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
'The Wind in the Willows'~Kenneth Grahame

More
16 years 1 month ago #1080 by robert
Replied by robert on topic Re: Paddle choice
Anyone knows the specs of the Fenn 4 paddle I have not been able to find it online??

Latest Forum Topics