Re: surfski choice?!far away from internationnal roots scene

• GCH
  • Visitor
16 years 10 months ago #137 by GCH
Fabien, I would like to give you an account of my experience of the boats in question. I have owned a carbon V10 (SA made), and presently own a carbon Mako 6 and a V10L (Performance model).

The Mako6 is signficantly less stable than both V10's. It's ride is significantly smoother, and it "feels" lighter and livelier than the carbon V10. However, both V10's are more comfortable to me (only 167cm).

I feel best in the V10L, which instills more confidence of all,being the most comfortable and stable. However, I feel the Mako 6 is the fastest boat, especially down-wind, accelerating onto waves; I attribute this to it's lighter weight, although the later V10's from China are lighter than
the originals.

The carbon V10 did leak, the Mako 6 and V10L are as dry as a bone! The finish and quality is best on the new V10L.

So, as you can see, each boat has pluses and minuses. Which one to choose? Purchase the one that "feels" best for you...and yes, if your budget can stretch to the lighter carbon lay-ups, they are a more satisfying paddle, and definitely better at catching waves.

For me, the V10L feels best (concurred by a very experienced paddling mate, who has put his money where his mouth is and bought one!), but as I am fortunate enough to do so ,I have a V10L ELITE on order.

You can't go wrong with any of the latest fom either Fenn or Epic.

Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics