Re: Optimum length for a leg leash

More
16 years 4 months ago #1425 by Madgus
I use a "knee up " leash for a body board. Apparently they use them when doing drop knees? what ever that is. It is long enough so that if you have to remount it doesn't effect the trim of the ski. It is very similar to a leg rope (no coil) except a lot shorter.

Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #1426 by richardh
Thanks for the replies.

I use a "knee up " leash for a body board ...

I asked about these at the surf shop in town (Perth Australia) and was met with blank looks!

I've grabbed a short coil leash and will add shock cord and see how I go!

Thanks again.

More
16 years 4 months ago #1427 by [email protected]
I use a coiled leash provided by Huki in the US. It has two velcro fasteners - a larger one at one end that I put around my leg just below my knee; the smaller goes around my footstrap.

I can walk carrying the ski while wearing it and I've come out a couple of times while using it - getting back in with no problem.

It gives me a lot of reassurance in big winds.

I also use a rope leash on my paddle - and the two leashes don't get tangled (so far).

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 4 months ago #1428 by MFB
I also use the Huki. You can just order it online and Jude will ship it to you. I have it the other end on the foot strap and the the smaller velcro loop wrapped around my paddle.

Rob,

Isnt it dangerous to have 2 leashes? I read that somewhere, probably in surfski.info or over at Huki's site.

Mark

More
16 years 4 months ago #1429 by [email protected]

Isnt it dangerous to have 2 leashes? I read that somewhere, probably in surfski.info or over at Huki's site.

I've also heard that comment. I can only talk from experience. One such experience occurred only last night when I was paddling out to do a downwind run in 30kts gusting to 40kts with big seas (6ft with occasional 10ft breaking waves). 350m out to sea a massive wave reared up in front of me and broke over the nose of the ski - it collapsed on top of me and the ski and I went careering backwards (at 7kph! The GPS measured it!) and I came off. A watcher on the ramp said it was spectacular - he thought the ski had been broken.

At any rate it was the most violent falling off that I've had when using a leash (one doesn't use a leg leash when going out through surf because of the risk of injury).

Sure enough the leashes did tangle with each other and around the ski. However it took only a moment to dive under the ski and then untangle the paddle leash from the leg leash.

I remounted (came off again because it was the first time I'd remounted this new ski), remounted a second time and off I went.

But when I was knocked off I lost my grip on the paddle and if I'd only been using a paddle leash, it's highly likely that I'd have lost the ski. A 30kt breeze tends to whip a ski away before you can blink.

Please note I'm not advocating the use of leg leash in surf - but I have used both leashes many times in Cape Town when doing big downwind runs and my opinion is that the likelihood of the leashes tangling is less than the likelihood of losing ski or paddle through not having one of the leashes.

The leg leash has a quick release pull on the velcro and I ALWAYS pull it off before coming through the surf to shore.

So - for our conditions here in Cape Town, I believe a combination of leg leash and paddle leash works.

One last point: my paddle leash is rope - I think if you were using two coiled leashes they'd be much more likely to tangle.

Cheers
Rob

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 4 months ago #1430 by txbuckeye
Rob, your post makes a good case for using two leashes. I myself use two leashes in high wind situations for the same reasons. I think the basic rule for using two leashes, if I heard correctly, is to never have two leashes connected to the paddler. Leash to paddler and paddle to boat is the way I've done it with no problems. The key is to be able to undo one leash quickly if it get's tangled and becomes an issue of safety.

More
16 years 4 months ago #1431 by [email protected]

I think the basic rule for using two leashes, if I heard correctly, is to never have two leashes connected to the paddler. Leash to paddler and paddle to boat is the way I've done it with no problems. The key is to be able to undo one leash quickly if it gets tangled and becomes an issue of safety.

I agree totally!

(And as always, never be tied to the ski when going in or out through surf.)

Rob

More
16 years 4 months ago #1432 by stuartknaggs
I'm still not convinced about the paddle leash. I have seen people getting tangled in them in tiny conditions at the water's edge. Also I have seen people getting in a huge mess trying to remount with their paddle on the wrong side of the ski. Granted, these have been novices, but I think it is this group that need the most guidance.

I am a firm supporter of a leg / ankle leash to the ski, but always advocate teaching paddlers to hold onto their paddles. It would be interesting to see what the pro instructors (Dawid, Barry) have to say.

My 2c

Stuart

Latest Forum Topics