Orka paddle

More
11 years 4 months ago #14656 by JC
Orka paddle was created by JC
I'm shopping for a mid-size paddle (on a limited budget); I found a used Orka Inner for sale. Any feedback on that model? How about the Fenn 3? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14658 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re: Orka paddle
I bought a maxpaddle online from the manufacturer. The nearest paddle shop is a couple of hours drive, so it was a good option. Great paddle. Couldn't be happier with the choice. Cost about $220 shipped.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC

More
11 years 4 months ago #14661 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: Orka paddle

Dicko wrote: I bought a maxpaddle online from the manufacturer. The nearest paddle shop is a couple of hours drive, so it was a good option. Great paddle. Couldn't be happier with the choice. Cost about $220 shipped.

Have you tried the Carbonology Paddles Dicko, I have been happy with mine but it is starting to show wear and tear after a couple of years of heavy use. Thinking of looking around for another cheaper option and wondered how the Max paddle might compare. With China pumping out lots of rip off's there's got to be some better value out there.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
11 years 4 months ago #14663 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic Re: Orka paddle
What about the i-Paddle, anyone paddled one, any feedback? Details here off the web.

iPaddles

The Small Wing paddle is designed for smaller adult paddlers and children.
Specifications:

Blade Width: 15.4cm

Blade Length: 49cm

Surface Area: 710cm²

Paddle Weight: 620gm

The Small Mid Wing paddle is for those wanting to maintain cadence when paddling over long distances, and into a head wind.
Specifications:

Blade Width: 15.9cm

Blade Length: 49.9cm

Surface Area: 735cm²

Paddle Weight: 650gm

The Mid Wing paddle is an ideal paddle for the majority of racing and fitness paddlers.
Specifications:

Blade Width: 16.4cm

Blade Length: 50.0cm

Surface Area: 750cm²

Paddle Weight: 700gm

iPaddle Price List

C40 Club Medium Flex Oval Shaft (40%): $300

C40 Eite Firm, metal lever lock texture oval shaft: $330

C80 Elite Firm, metal lever lock texturet (80%carbon): $350
Attachments:

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #14664 by Watto
Also for those in the know, what about optimal blade shape for downwind/ocean paddling vs flat water 10k plus races? Examples of two different blade shapes below just comparing iPaddle and a Gara 3. I know nothing about either brand but thought fit to compare shapes as they're both advertised on same page of an Aussie paddling site - to which I might add I have no affiliation, nor to any manufacturers or paddling sites.

Quite a difference in shape here.

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Watto. Reason: Changed Gara 2 to Gara 3

More
11 years 4 months ago #14665 by Dicko
I rate the maxpaddle. It has a much deeper blade than most paddles. You just never seem to get a bad catch with it. Made in S Africa and seem to be tough as. If it broke, I'd buy another one tomorrow. Exchange rate is good at the moment, which makes them an even better proposition. Always welcome to try mine, if our paths cross.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Watto

More
11 years 4 months ago #14666 by Watto
Cheers mate, and paths will cross, it's WA remember we're probably related. .. Son!

Maxpaddles below while I'm image grabbing online and before I get off backside and go for a late ride. Which one do you paddle?

Attachments:

More
11 years 4 months ago #14667 by Dicko
I have a M333 and the wife uses a M3. I sometimes use the M3 if my arms are getting tired and just want an easy paddle. The m333 seems to be a good allrounder. Good over a distance and really good downwind, cos the catch is so solid. I can honestly say I can't remember having a bad catch in the last 2 years I've had this paddle.
Maybe that's just age cos I'm starting to forget all sorts of things.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14669 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: Orka paddle
Sounds like you did very well with the exchange rate, at 2,450 rand it's about $265 Aus dollars now, that's before shipping is added.

Anything below $300 is still pretty good if you are getting full carbon blades on a adjustable 60% carbon shaft. One of the locals here has one, may have to try it at training.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
11 years 4 months ago #14670 by Dicko
AR, I have a feeling the paddles were on special when I bought them.
Would be curious to know what you think of them. Don't know anyone that uses one or read a review anywhere. Be interesting to see how someone who can paddle rates them.

I started using a kevlar one ( the yellow one ) that had a smaller diameter shaft, to try and ease some carpal tunnel pain. I bought that from John ???? in Perth. When I wanted a carbon paddle I couldn't find his add on geartrade, so went straight to the maxpaddle website. Have also tried one of their new connectors and that goes ok as well.

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #14671 by Rod Thomas
Replied by Rod Thomas on topic Re: Orka paddle

JC wrote: I'm shopping for a mid-size paddle (on a limited budget); I found a used Orka Inner for sale. Any feedback on that model? How about the Fenn 3? Thanks!

Orka is great. As far as I know one of the top SA manufacturers. I have been using a Orka Outer for 7 months and drop it and bash it relentlessly and it is as good as new. I think the inner is also mid-size. Anyway check it for cracks before buying.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Rod Thomas.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14676 by mario
Replied by mario on topic Re: Orka paddle
I am using an Orka inner. Great paddle. Forgiving with decent pull and super sturdy.Same shape As the ipaddle and extreme good value for money...it has a better locking system be far in my opinion.
Going to use it in the next 30 minutes!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Watto, JC

More
11 years 4 months ago #14684 by JimmyJarrah
Replied by JimmyJarrah on topic Re: Orka paddle
Had an Orka inner for 3 years as my first paddle. It was a forgiving paddle that I used for flat water harbour paddles, surf ski paddling and ocean paddling. After 3 years of heavy uses the it cracked across the face. Probably from heavy uses in waves on the surf skis.
I have moved on a Legend Fluid offset teardrop paddle (same shape as the Jantex Gamma.) If you have not tried the shape I would advise taking a look. From my experience they are not as forgiving but with the high twist in the paddle are loaded with power right from the catch... In my opinion they are perfect for pulling onto swells that I would have missed before. I believe the Orka Flex is the Orka equivalent or the Gamma/Fluid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Watto, JC

More
11 years 1 day ago #16368 by Nige
Replied by Nige on topic Re: Orka paddle
The Gara paddle is also worth looking at, if for no other reason than Hank McGregor and a few of the other top paddlers here in SA use them: you can see the endorsements on their website.(Hank uses the GP3.) Not sure whether they have an Aus agent, but you can check out all the details on www.gara.co.za

P.S. I don't have any affiliation with Gara (I don't even use one)but they're pretty popular in SA.

Latest Forum Topics