Re: Best Paddles

More
16 years 4 weeks ago #1921 by [email protected]
:)
Ok, that list was put together at the Dubai Shamaal, so maybe something's changed!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 weeks ago #1922 by stuartknaggs
Replied by stuartknaggs on topic Re: Best Paddles
Sorry Johnn, I assumed you were new to paddling - I don't know why. I choose to use Custom Kayaks paddles because they are strong. Not very light but they have a sleeve that fits over the shaft which is a lot stronger than the the type of blade that fits into the shaft. Some may think its overkill but I am a looooong way from a paddle shop and can't afford to have break-downs.

Stuart

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #1923 by MFB
Replied by MFB on topic Re: Best Paddles

Sorry Rob, but looking at the pics from King of the H, it looks like Tim is using a Meek blade paddle.It si not an Epic. Meek being a local Aussie builder who is creating a great blad with added strength around the neck off the blade.. woops,hope tim doesnt get in trouble........

Isnt he using a Bennet?

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #1924 by Rob F
Replied by Rob F on topic Re: Best Paddles
Sort off, Bennet assemble the blades and the shaft. He gets the blades from Meek and I think from the pic the shaft is a Jantex fixed length. He then sells them with the Bennet logo on them but if you look closley, near the neck off the blade is a logo which belongs to Meek. .... I am glad that I am not the only one on this sight who looks at all those little things looking for any edge.

BTW. Rob, you commented that Tims Epic is 3 piece. Any pics? how do they join? what a great idea, it can be hard to store a 21 foot boat!

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #1925 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: Best Paddles

BTW. Rob, you commented that Tims Epic is 3 piece. Any pics? how do they join? what a great idea, it can be hard to store a 21 foot boat!

Yep apparently for an extra $500 they'll make it in 3 pieces for you. I saw one about a year ago but they weren't ready to manufacture them then...

Basically they have a bulkhead either end of the section and there's a hatch that allows you to get your hand in to do up the bolts that hold it all together. Oscar sent me a photo of himself at the airport - on the trolley were: his suitcase and the 3 bits of ski!

I'll try to get some photos and more info about the 3-piece.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #1926 by MFB
Replied by MFB on topic Re: Best Paddles

Yep apparently for an extra $500 they'll make it in 3 pieces for you. I saw one about a year ago but they weren't ready to manufacture them then...

Basically they have a bulkhead either end of the section and there's a hatch that allows you to get your hand in to do up the bolts that hold it all together. Oscar sent me a photo of himself at the airport - on the trolley were: his suitcase and the 3 bits of ski!

I'll try to get some photos and more info about the 3-piece.

wow, a 3 pc ski! You should do an article on this Rob.

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #1927 by yhomas
Replied by yhomas on topic Re: Best Paddles
I own an Epic mid wing that weighs 22 oz (yes, this is ~1.5 oz lighter than the published weight) and my wife has an Onno small wing (18"x6") that weighs 21 oz. Both the Epic and Onno are great paddles. The Epic has the possible advantage of an oval shaft, while the Onno has the advantage of a better locking mechanism and more options for blade size and construction. I think that in an apples to apples comparison of similarly sized and similarly strong wings, the Onno and Epic will come out to being are roughly the same weight, but Onno has the advantage of custom building one either lighter or stronger as you prefer.

Most other paddles that I have tried out are not as light as Epic and Onno. For example, the Fenn and Jantex blades are noticably heavier. Once you are used to paddling a lighter paddle, changing to a heavier one is not much fun.

Perhaps, for serious big ocean use, it is better to build the paddles stronger (and therefore heavier), but as someone who does ultra marathon river racing (10-40 hours), I greatly value lighter weight.

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #1928 by robert
Replied by robert on topic Re: Best Paddles

I was trying to purchase a Fenn IV paddle recently but was informed by a supplier that Keith Fenn is now redoing all the moulds for his blades and therefor
none will be available until further notice. Is this true?? And if so, how soon are the new blades expected??

Latest Forum Topics