Garmin 405

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #1946 by mckrouk
Garmin 405 was created by mckrouk
Have recently seen the Garmin 405 forerunner advertised in a sports mag. Seems it is the next generation up from Garmin 305. Less bulky, more watch-like. Apparently you can switch off the GPS portion and use it as a watch. Battery-life consequently much longer. Has anyone had a chance to evaluate it? Do our intrepid SS.info editors perhaps see their way clear to test-driving one?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #1947 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: Garmin 405

Do our intrepid SS.info editors perhaps see their way clear to test-driving one?

I've asked the local agents for a review unit... :)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #1948 by stuartknaggs
Replied by stuartknaggs on topic Re: Garmin 405
No info on this but take a look at the Timex Bodylink. I've been using one for a few months (yes I will do a review) and it is a very good alternative to the others.

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #1949 by superted
Replied by superted on topic Re: Garmin 405
Hopefully Garmin takes the "Waterproof to IEC 60529 IPX7 standards" seriously with the 405, unlike the 305 >:(

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #1950 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re: Garmin 405
Stuart , can you place the bodylink gps at your feet(footstrap/or behind footboard) , in a aquapac bag and have it link with the watch on your wrist ? The timex info suggests that the gps unit is splashproof whilst the watch is more water resistant. Seems that if this correct and the two can talk in the forementioned config., might be a winner ! I don,t suppose the waterproof bag would effect the link but ......????? (you will probably speak to this in your review , I'm shopping now and not sold on the garmin ) thanx Sandy

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #1951 by stuartknaggs
Replied by stuartknaggs on topic Re: Garmin 405
Hi Sandy
Yes, putting the gps unit and the recorder in the aquapac works well. The recording system works without the watch. I strap the watch onto my footstrap because I don't like anything on my wrist when I paddle and leave itsetto heartrte readout. I use another Garmin GPS 76 for navigation and speed redout because it has a bigger display.
Stuart

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #1952 by jsowers
Replied by jsowers on topic Re: Garmin 405
The 405 caught my eye when it was announced earlier this year. I use a 305 for surfski mounted to the footstrap but also wear it on my wrist for running and bike, so a more watch-like GPS is appealing. (The 305 has a major nerd factor.) However Garmin web site lists product not available to second quarter 2008 and Amazon lists ship date june08/2008. The watch uses the bezel for control and seems to be a type of touch control which could be potentially good for water resistance since fewer buttons but question if salt water will take a toll on the touch control. Also on promo video it seems to have only one large readable data line so for surfski use mounted to footstrap or bulkhead the 305 may be preferable.

Latest Forum Topics