footwells

More
16 years 1 week ago #2026 by Boof Head
footwells was created by Boof Head
Double footwells or single footwell. Does one design have any advantages over the other? or is it just personal preference. I suppose one Pro for the single footwell would be that only 1 venturi is needed. Any others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nell
  • Visitor
16 years 1 week ago #2027 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re: footwells
pros for single:
1. your heels will be lower down than if they were spread apart in double footwells - assuming a round cross-section racing type hull. If your heels are lower, you'll be either more comfortable, more stable, or both.
2. When you push against the footboard during the pull phase of the stroke, you are pushing more in the centerline of the ski, and you "tip" the ski less while doing so.
3. There is often more room to accomodate bulkier socks/footwear.
4. Feels similar to a K1 - if you are used to K1's.
5. Lots of choices among the newer skis.
6. The footstraps are more similar to those on a K1 allowing you to push/pull during the stroke.

cons for single:
1. it holds a large volume of water which can slow you down. This is mainly a factor when paddling in and out of the surf, or slowly in choppy water, etc.

More
16 years 1 week ago #2028 by stuartknaggs
Replied by stuartknaggs on topic Re: footwells
Question is: when is someone going to start producing a fixed length single footwell boat? I plan on having one custom made when I order my next boat - thought that won't be for a while....

More
16 years 1 week ago #2029 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: footwells
I doubt it'll be any time soon because the manufacturer has to create a deck mould for each length - hassle & expense.

I know that the V10 Elite & Super Elite are provided with hardware to make the pedals/footplate fixed - in order to save weight.

I'd like to see a conversion kit for single footwell skis to make them fixed length. Dale Lippstreu did this for his original V10 - created a fairing/box for the front of the ski. The result was a fixed length ski with a handy locker at the front of the cockpit where he could store stuff like a juice bladder.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 1 week ago #2030 by yhomas
Replied by yhomas on topic Re: footwells

Question is: when is someone going to start producing a fixed length single footwell boat? I plan on having one custom made when I order my next boat - thought that won't be for a while....

Huki has been doing this for years. In fact, fixed single well is the only option for the S1A (which is designed for paddlers <160 lbs). Jude mentioned to me that single well non-adjustable is also the lightest option--as evidenced by the fact that the Carbon/Kevlar S1A weighs ~18 lbs.

More
16 years 1 week ago #2031 by stuartknaggs
Replied by stuartknaggs on topic Re: footwells

I doubt it'll be any time soon because the manufacturer has to create a deck mould for each length - hassle & expense.

Not so Rob, most of the manufacturers that offer fixed options on their skis have bolt on inserts on the deck mold so that they can move the footwells to suite the order. It would be a relatively simple procedure to substitute the separate inserts for a single well insert. My idea is to make an insert and ship it to the manufacturer who would bolt it onto his deck mold and lay it up for me. Obviously on my neck if it turns out bad.

Maybe I should take a look at the Huki, but I don't think I will see the other side of 160 lb again unless I have something amputated. :)

Stuart

More
16 years 1 week ago #2032 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: footwells

Not so Rob, most of the manufacturers that offer fixed options on their skis have bolt on inserts on the deck mold so that they can move the footwells to suite the order.

Apologies - I stand corrected! :-[

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Latest Forum Topics