First purchase advice/questions

More
16 years 1 week ago #2052 by Boof Head
I've tried a couple of surf skis and am keen to purchase. I can afford a used boat at this stage and am looking at a couple.
A red7 surf 70 that is about a year old, raced regularly in surf conditions but well maintained and in good condition. No repairs.
Another red7surf70 that has been snapped in half and repaired.
ques 1: Do surf skis, weaken due to fatigue after awhile from use in surf.
ques 2: Would a snapped boat that has been professionally repaired be stronger due to extra glass added around the fracture zone, or weaker.
Any insights appreciated, Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 week ago #2053 by Hiro
Don't know about the strengt... but you will always think "this boat has snapped already before" while paddling.
You need a boat you can trust. I would buy the one with no repairs at all.

More
16 years 1 week ago #2054 by [email protected]

ques 1: Do surf skis, weaken due to fatigue after awhile from use in surf.
ques 2: Would a snapped boat that has been professionally repaired be stronger due to extra glass added around the fracture zone, or weaker.
Any insights appreciated, Cheers

Fatigue? I'd say if you look closely & don't see any stress cracks in the gelcoat, you're probably ok. But skis can break any time in surf... really difficult to say.

Strength? I snapped my Carbon Mako6 in surf about a month after I got it. It was repaired back at the factory and I've paddled it ever since. I actually believe it's stronger than before. But I guess it depends on the person who did the job!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Latest Forum Topics