High Twist Blades

More
15 years 2 months ago #2957 by Shaun
High Twist Blades was created by Shaun
I am starting to look for a new paddle, and have decided that I want to try a high twist blade. I have found 4 blades that look very similar and I was curious if there is anyone out there that knows the difference between them. The paddles that I have found that are similar, are the Jantex Gamma, Zastera Burton, Flyer #8, and the Quick Blade Tiger Claw.

I have heard that they are all copies of the same blade, but I haven't confirmed that. I am guessing it is similar to how almost every company that makes wing paddles has a Brasca 4 knock-off. I am using a Brasca 4 knock-off as a current paddle, come to think of it.

I have heard from a lot of people that the Jantex is the best quality, but it is crazy expensive. I can get the Zastera for a fair price, and the Flyer #8 for about the same, or the Tiger Claw for the least, but the quality looks the worst.

I am somewhat close to ordering the Zastera Burton Flatwater blades in Medium, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask around on here first. If you have any thoughts or input, I would be happy to hear it.

-Shaun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2961 by garykroukamp
Replied by garykroukamp on topic Re:High Twist Blades
Pardon my ignorance, but what are high twist blades?

More
15 years 2 months ago #2962 by Shaun
Replied by Shaun on topic Re:High Twist Blades
There are a few blades out there that have a lot more twist in them compaired to the standard Epic, Fenn, and Braca blades. Where an Epic paddle has around 13 degrees of twist, the Jantex has around 22 degrees of twist. I will see if I am smart enough to attach a picture.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2963 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re:High Twist Blades
Tiger Claw is actually a nice and strong and very light paddle. Their finish is different from the Epics, Fenns, and others due to a different method of making them. I believe that they are solid carbon, i.e. not a thick core blade. Weight is very light. They're kind of similar to the Patasi Turbo - in construction and appearance - not in feel.

I've tried Tiger Claw and Flyer 8 and they are big, big blades. Not for marathon.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2965 by Shaun
I have heard that those two are bigger than the others. The Jantex is what Lewis Laughlin used on the Molokai last year, and I have found out that the Jantex was a copy of the Zastera. I think they are smaller than the others, but it would be nice to get some good feedback before buying a paddle. I may have found one locally that I might be able to try. I will post up if I get a chance to use it, but I would still love to hear from anyone who has used either of these blades.

More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #2966 by superted
Replied by superted on topic Re:High Twist Blades
I found the Jantex Gamma medium took a week or so to get used to after selling my Epic midwing. Try to demo it for longer then just one paddle to see the benefits.

Build quality is great as well :)
Last edit: 15 years 2 months ago by superted.

More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #2967 by Shaun
That is the kind of review that I was looking for, thanks. Does the paddle seem like the size is similar to what you were used to? I don't want something that is going to be too big like the Tiger Claw and Flyer #8 are reported to be. Good size for long distance surf ski paddling?
Last edit: 15 years 2 months ago by Shaun.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2968 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re:High Twist Blades
From the Jantex website, they measure the width of the gamma medium at 16.4 cm which is pretty much exactly the same as the Epic mid. Feedback I'm hearing from marathon ski paddlers who are now using the gamma medium, is that they like it, and that it feels like a mid-size blade like the Epic mid, Fenn 3, etc.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2969 by AndersK
Replied by AndersK on topic Re:High Twist Blades
I used a Zastera Burton large last season and liked it a lot.
Compared to Bracsa I, wich I have used the last 8 years, I find it equally powerful at full speed but more suitable for marathon racing. Im not sure how to describe it but it feels a bit like having two gears.
For next season, I have bought a medium as well but have not used it yet.
The build quality seems good and both of my paddles weights in at well below 800 grams.
The Guy who sells them, Tomas Zastera has provided great service and quick handeling of orders.
The size of the medium Burton is between Jan-tex Gamma med+ and Large-. The Burton large is about the same as Gamma Large+. (if they measure them the same way)

More
15 years 2 months ago #2970 by Shaun
I have been trading emails with Thomas Zastera about blade size. He claims that the Wildwater Large is the same size as the Flatwater Medium, and those are both the same size as the Jantex Mid. The measurements on their websites sure make the Zastera blades seem larger, and that makes me a little hesitant to order a Zastera blade. I would like to get the Jantex just because I KNOW that it is a succesfull blade for surfski, but they are very expensive. I guess worst case with getting a Zastera is that it would be a little big, so I guess it comes down to how much do I trust Thomas Zastera when he says they are the same size when the published measurements are this different.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback, it is very helpful.

Latest Forum Topics