Recreational paddler questions

More
14 years 1 week ago #4355 by Marx
Just bought our first surfski's and mainly paddling in Port Phillip Bay and up the river. So nothing to extreme. We just love being on the water, going somewhere at a good speed and getting some exercise. Port Phillip Bay being ideal for our ability.
We are currently storing the skis on metal racks strapped down with stretchies, not a good thing? Why is this? Any DIY racks we can make/what do people generally use? The skis are under a sail so protected from the weather.
How much of a beating can the skis take i.e. bumping into things etc. Both our skis are glass and weigh around 15/16kg. (I managed to dent a prefab wall with mine yesterday).
Do the ski's need to have a protective paint/coat put on? Could be stupid questions but we don't know much about the equipment/sport and it is quite hard to get info at our basic level as most people tend to be into racing, started at Lifesaving etc. where I suppose we are more recreational paddlers and purely doing it for the enjoyment and challenge factor for our current level of paddling experience. All tips/info welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago - 14 years 1 week ago #4359 by AR_convert
Firsly, I have found that fibreglass tends to be fairly forgiving after 14 months of ownership.

I built a rack system that is storm proofn and stand alone.

I used galvanised iron poles that are used for cyclone fencing and the related galvanised fittings which makes the assembly quite easy. Bunnings will cut the pipe/poles to length for you and you can build the rack to store 4 boats with plenty of space for around $700. I then bought hot water pipe insulation to cover the cross beam poles so the skis only contact this soft stuff and even when tied down in windy weather are not being damaged. If I can figure out how to post pics on here I will.

Gel coat polish will help look after your boats, I found some good stuff at a marine dealer, brings the boat up like new.

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 14 years 1 week ago by AR_convert.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics