Paddle shaft size

More
16 years 11 months ago #450 by Shaun
Paddle shaft size was created by Shaun
I have a Futura wing paddle with a small shaft. I like the blade, but the shaft is causing my hands to get tired quickly and is just plain uncomfortable. I know there are things that I can wrap around the shaft to make it larger, but I am reluctant to try it because I don't want to loose the feel of the paddle in my hands. Has anyone tried anything to make a shaft larger, and did it work? I am getting close to selling the paddle and just finding something that is the right size for me. Any thoughts or ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #451 by mckrouk
Replied by mckrouk on topic Re: Paddle shaft size
Why don't you borrow a paddle with a thicker shaft and if it works for you, get your canoe repair shop to change the shaft on your existing paddle. Wrapping the shaft with tennis racket style tape to make it thicker is guaranteed to give you blisters, but proper canoeing grips can be added to give you a shaft that is a bit thicker.

More
16 years 10 months ago #452 by latman
Replied by latman on topic Re: Paddle shaft size
What is the actual Outside Diameter of your shaft, If you don't have verniers to measure it you can wrap a strip of paper(non stretch) around the shaft , mark it where it overlaps (it will be about 90mm) ,divide that number by pi (3.14) and you will have the exact diameter.

If you don't want a soft or rough tennis racket grip and want to keep the same hard shiny finish you can wrap some lightly wet-out Fibreglass around it , then wrap it tight with electrical tape ,and leave it to cure. if you want a smoother finish you can sand it and finish coat it with some waxed resin

Lats

Latest Forum Topics