How do I remove water from my paddle shaft

More
16 years 9 months ago #578 by richardh
I've just found water in my paddle shaft - may have been there a while.

The paddle is an Epic wing with the 'double oval' shaft and I bought it second-hand - there was no water in it when I bought it and it is probably my agricultural stroke that causes it!.

The water doesn't drain naturally, so I was planning to apply soap around the join and then gently heat it up with warm water and see where the bubbles appear and then adjust to force the water out.

Has anybody else had a similar problem and have any better ideas?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Alain Jaques
  • Visitor
16 years 9 months ago #579 by Alain Jaques
Replied by Alain Jaques on topic Re: How do I remove water from my paddle shaft
Yes, I had exactly the same problem with water in the paddle shaft. Firstly put duct tape around the joints where the blades fit onto the shaft. This stops the water getting in. Then drill a very small hole in the centre of the paddle shaft, apparently the centre takes the least forces. (It should not weaken the paddle much, my paddle did snap evenutually but it snapped at my hand, not in the middle where the hole was.)

Now blow into the hole holding the paddle above your head so the hole faces down, release and tilt the paddle. If you do it right you should get a jet of water coming out the hole. Repeat this until all the water is gone or you pass out.

Keep the hole open to do this before every paddle. You'll get some strange looks standing in the beach kissing your paddle in the air - its OK

Alternatively take your paddle to an expert, the glue they generally use to fix the blades to the shaft can be molten with heat and the blades can be removed, the water drained and then re-glued sealing the leaks.

More
16 years 9 months ago #580 by richardh
Alain.

Great idea - I'm seeing a 'paddle maker' soon, so I'll see if he can empty it first otherwise I'll try this.

>You'll get some strange looks ...

I'm used to strange looks, paddling with a light on my head for early or late training!

More
16 years 9 months ago #581 by Rouen
Ja, I bought a new SET Lettman 1 paddle little more than a year ago. After a couple of paddles I heard sloshing sounds in the shaft. But living in George I couldnt take it back to the store to have it fixed.

I couldnt find the leak so I drilled 2 holes in the shaft with a very narrow drill-bit. If I blow on the one and tilt the paddle the water shoots out the other hole, like Alain says u look like a idiot but it worked.

I wonder if you apply some resin over the part where the shaft meets the blade?

More
16 years 9 months ago #582 by MFB
Having adjustable paddle shafts let you take them apart and drain the water if ever it does come in.

Latest Forum Topics