Re: HUMMING RUDDER

• Txski
  • Visitor
16 years 5 months ago #585 by Txski
Re: HUMMING RUDDER was created by Txski
A while back my rudder started to hummm mysteriously. I did nothing to it and it stopped humming after a few weeks. Maybe it's depressed?? Anyone have some rudder prozac?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #586 by mckrouk
Replied by mckrouk on topic Re: HUMMING RUDDER
Maybe it was just bored. Not enough scary downwinds...

More
16 years 5 months ago #587 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re: HUMMING RUDDER
SInce rudders start humming only past a certain speed... maybe you've slow down :D paddle harder and it'll humm again.

• Txski
  • Visitor
16 years 5 months ago #588 by Txski
Replied by Txski on topic Re: HUMMING RUDDER
Nah E.T., it's more like breaking the sound barrier. Lots of shaking and vibrating at first then everything quiets down. I don't have any plans to go subsonic again. And yes, my boat and rudder are very bored. Hopefully once I find those tanker waves that will also be solved. Hasta

More
16 years 5 months ago #589 by txbuckeye
Replied by txbuckeye on topic Re: HUMMING RUDDER
No,no,no. He has definitely slowed down. I'm sure of it. No doubt in my mind. In fact, I think he's getting paralyzed with fear that I'm going to beat him in the race this weekend. :o

• Txski
  • Visitor
16 years 5 months ago #590 by Txski
Replied by Txski on topic Re: HUMMING RUDDER
Dave, it might be a good idea to stay away from those mushrooms growing in your yard.

More
15 years 11 months ago #591 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re: HUMMING RUDDER
So... Has anyone experimented with marine bearing grease in the rudder shaft tube and on the shaft to help with "rattle". of course there has to be some play here, just had a grating afternoon listening to the rattle in the chop. If there is enough lump to actually get a push the rattle disappears as the rudder loads up.???????

More
15 years 11 months ago #592 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re: HUMMING RUDDER
My surfski was humming like a thousand bees were on my back. A friend paddling ten meters away could hear it. I could feel vibrations in the hull...
Since I live far far away from Mr Fenn, I didn't wanted to ask for another rudder and have to wait for a few weeks to get it... Instead I re-shaped the rudder that was buckled and got it straight. Since then, no more humming nor vibrations.
The link below shows how it's been done. Sorry, the text is in french but there are some pics.
tuaruavaa.blogspot.com/2008/01/refaonnag...safran-de-mako6.html

Latest Forum Topics