Hatch in V10L?

More
16 years 9 months ago #723 by Ravn
Hatch in V10L? was created by Ravn
Hi

Tried posting this question on the Yahoo list, but couldent get it to work.

I just recently started paddling a surfski, coming from a background of seakayaks and K1.

I would really love to have a small hatch on my Epic V10L kevlar layup. Im thinking of putting it on the small wall in front of the footpedals. But i have seen pictures of the foam stringer, like this one: www.surfski.info/images/stories/2006/may...oneycombstringer.jpg

Im wondering what will happen if i remove some of the stringer? Will i ruin the stiffness of the boat? has anybody tried putting in a hatch, and can give some advice, and maybe some pictures?

Has any body put a hatch in a curving reardeck? If i could pack it with ultra light equipment, it would make a awesome weekend cruiser... 8)

Best regards Ravn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #724 by [email protected]
Before you do anything, let's ask the Epic manufacturers...! I'll alert them to this post & get an "official" response.

I'd be very hesitant about taking out any of the stringer because that provides a major part of the strength of the hull.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 9 months ago #725 by Ravn
Replied by Ravn on topic Re: Hatch in V10L?
hehe, will hold onto the saw just a little while longer... ;D

It would be perfect if somebody from Epic answer.

Best regards Ravn

P.S. Im very happy with my Epic V10L!!! :)

More
16 years 9 months ago #726 by [email protected]
Hi Ravn, Greg Barton of Epic Kayaks responded as follows:

"He can cut out some of the honeycomb stringer just in front of the foot well. It depends on what type of water he will be paddling. If he's doing Molokai runs and on water like the Durban World cup, then don't cut too much. You could cut a half circle with the top deck and bottom hull portions still fully attached. For more moderate paddling you could cut more out. The Ultra Kevlar version is very strong due to the honeycomb core in the hull & deck, so will easily maintain structural integrity with some of the stringer removed.

The most critical stringer area is near the seat, as this part of the boat receives the most stress.

Regards,
Greg"

Hope that helps!

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 9 months ago #727 by Ravn
Replied by Ravn on topic Re: Hatch in V10L?
Hi Rob

Thats super! Im not paddling anything near Molokai conditions, we dont have that kind of water in Denmark. I will work on it next week, and be back with some pictures of the finished project.

Thanks for the help!

Best regards Ravn

More
16 years 9 months ago #728 by [email protected]
Pics would be really cool! But not only of the ski - tell us where you paddle & what the conditions are like...! When are you going to have your first race...?!

I know there are a couple of races in Norway & Sweden coming up - an 80km downwind in the Baltic...

All the best
Rob

Rob

Latest Forum Topics