Paddle Leash

More
12 years 10 months ago #7239 by tazmaniandevil
Paddle Leash was created by tazmaniandevil
Hi,

which kind of paddle Leash you prefer?
I know that there isnt't the best Leash.
I'm looking for a leash paddle2ski.
We have try one, but the line was to thick.
There was leashes with thicklines, with thin lines ore
Leashes with a spiral line.
What special things must a good paddles leash have?

Gero

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #7240 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re:Paddle Leash
I made my paddle leash out of 4mm line. It attaches to the paddle shaft with a simple loop, held in place by a small bit of duct tape.
On the other end I have a mini-carabiner that clips onto a bungi cord that loops around my footstrap. Why the bungi? I found that it was good to have a bit of shock-absorption in the case that I pull the paddle to the limit of the line.
Hope this all makes sense!
(For the kind of paddling that we do - often strong wind and waves, 2km offshore - a body leash is much more important than a paddle leash although I often use both.)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
12 years 9 months ago #7308 by tazmaniandevil
Replied by tazmaniandevil on topic Re:Paddle Leash
Hi Robin,

that sounds good.
The idea with the Bungi I have also done now.
You only have a simple loop for carry the paddle?
One leash we have test have a big velcro for a good contact to the shaft. Can your slides?

Gero

More
12 years 9 months ago #7309 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re:Paddle Leash
Yep, simple loop.

I put a piece of duct tape over the loop on the shaft so that it doesn't slip.

The velcro is a good idea!

Regards
rob

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #7310 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re:Paddle Leash
Here is what I use.

Simple cheap and works.
I don't have the little pull tab, but maybe if you had gloved fingers you might want it.

I hook it to me via the leg leash strap around my leg.
This way I can swim after the boat in the surf and I don't even know it is there until after I jump back in and pull on the cord to find my paddle.
The paddle just drags imperceptibly behind me.

I always use a paddle leash, but only occasionally a boat leash. I usually just grab the boat as I fall off. Only if it is really windy or I have ventured out by myself will I use the leg leash as I find it gets in the way in the footwell.

Maybe if there was a dedicated leash point on the hump it might be more ergonomic to use, but I generally hate it as the leash floats around my feet all the time when it is disconnected.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by Rightarmbad.

More
12 years 9 months ago #7332 by tazmaniandevil
Replied by tazmaniandevil on topic Re:Paddle Leash
The quick relase with the bungee an the ball was simple and simple good B)

I know thee things from partytents, to attach the tarpaulin to the tentpole.

I will try first the velcro I have orderd. Do you have to have used the safety quick release?

gero

More
12 years 9 months ago #7333 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re:Paddle Leash
I've never found a need for a quick release for a paddle.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

Latest Forum Topics