Medium Size Paddle?

• Minks
  • Visitor
12 years 9 months ago #7411 by Minks
Medium Size Paddle? was created by Minks
I am looking for a recommendation on a medium size paddle. My skills would be classified as intermediate with most of my paddles being in the ocean.

Cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #7412 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re:Medium Size Paddle?
Medium sized blade?
Medium sized shaft?

I just bought a 210-220cm adjustable paddle from Carbonology Sport and it's the best thing I've done in a few years of paddling. Not that I'm saying their blade shape is any better than others but I hadnt realised just how much is to be gained by being able to adjust your paddle length according to conditions.

I now go out to 215 on the flat, 212-214 in small chop and down to 210-211 for big ocean conditions and while it doesnt sound much I am noticing big differences. I know other guys are able to swing a much longer length but as I'm still recovering from shoulder issues it's a slow progression for me.

It's worth the extra $$$$$ to go for an adjustable paddle ;)

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #7419 by Draftbuster
Replied by Draftbuster on topic Re:Medium Size Paddle?
Paddles aint paddles!
I tried a few paddles and spoke to a lot of people and in the end I got a custom made paddle from Performance Paddles on the sunshine coast.

Scott at Performance Paddles is both passionate and knowledgeable about his paddles and the sport of paddling.
The quality is excellent and the price is comparable or better then other high performance paddles.I agree with AR-Convert a small change in paddle length is quite amazing.So to is the flexibility/softness of the blade.

Everything is about compromise but if you go custom hand made by a reputable craftsman you can reduce the compromise.

I have both a medium size blade and a big blade and I have found that the big blade is super fast over the first 5ks then I run out of steam.
With the medium blade on a 210cm shaft I can paddle for much longer at a high speed for me.
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by Draftbuster.

More
12 years 9 months ago #7435 by Nige
Replied by Nige on topic Re:Medium Size Paddle?
Hi,

You don't say where in the world you are, so I can only make general recommendations. The Epic mid wing is a very good mid sized paddle which is widely sold, and is therefore a good "reference" paddle to use. You could just go ahead and buy one (go for a 210-220 split paddle as recommended by AR_convert)and I'm pretty confident you would be happy with it, as they really are nice paddles.

They are quite expensive, however, so if you're looking for something cheaper then see what else is available in your area and compare these to the Epic in terms of length, width and surface area to get an idea of the size blade you'd be interested in. (The Epic is 50cm x 16.4cm x 750 sq.cm) Talk to the people who sell the various paddles and to other paddlers. If you can, trying out the various paddles is the best option.

Hope this helps!

Nigel

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #8175 by ts-d
Replied by ts-d on topic Re: Medium Size Paddle?
Hello AR_convert,

sorry for my late reaction. I'd seen the Carbonology-paddles and searching reviews about these paddles I found your topic. I know you about your reviews about the Carbonology Vault and had read it with great interest.
Now my question: you bought a ocean paddle such as CS2 or CS3 (with one?), not a racing paddle like CS4 or CS5?

If I paddle, 216cm is ok, if there are much reserves of power, otherwise down to 212cm - I'm 1,88m and my boat is 48cm broad. What is your body lenght, your boat is 47cm, i know.

I paddle up to now a bracsa junior FW (580cm²), although I'm 49 years old and intermediate paddler, because I experienced, the high stroke rate is good for stability and not obstructive in moderate situations. How do y o u think about the area of the blade?

And how do you think about the lenght - the blade of the CS2 par example is longer as the Bracsa Junior (ca. 6,5cm per side). If I want to immerse the blade totaly, the CS2 must be longer than the Bracsa - or not?

Thanks for answering!

seakayaks (Francesconi Esplora, Lettman Polar, Valley Nordkapp Jubilee), Stellar SR
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by ts-d.

More
12 years 7 months ago #8177 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: Medium Size Paddle?
Mate, I'd like to make an intelligent reply, but honestly I don't know too much about paddles, up until now I've been doing all I can to get my head around what makes a good ski.

I was looking for a split shaft so I could adjust feather angle and length.

The Epic paddle I tried just felt so light I was afraid of how long it would last.

I asked around the guys I paddled with and a couple of them who have been paddling for 30 years or so and raced at top level mentioned they thought the Carbonology Paddles were good value and used a proven blade design. (Jantex?)

I didn't notice an immediate improvement over my fixed 210 cm "Solution" paddle at the same length but I have now settled on a length of 213cm and changed the feather angle to reduce the amount of wrist flexion/extension I need to use.

I have accidentally belted this paddle under some jetties and in races against other boats and it is very solid.

I am very happy with it.

As to what will work for you, I guess you can ask a coach or someone who has paddled a long time who has the experience.

I

More
12 years 7 months ago #8178 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: Medium Size Paddle?
Here is my quick take.

The differing paddle length between boats is more related to seat height than boat width.
Unless you are talking really wide stuff.

The more rotation, the longer your natural stroke, the shorter the paddle you will need.

The first paddle you buy will not be the right one for you.
Just get an adjustable mid size blade and go paddling.
When you know what is wrong with the one you have, go search for the perfect one.

As your stroke develops, your paddle requirement will more than likely change too.

As always, beg borrow and steal a go at every paddle you ever see, it is the only way you will get a good idea.

When you go for a paddle and never think about whether another paddle would be better, you are probably close to the right one.

You may end up with more than one paddle in your quiver, especially if you have more than one boat.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson
The following user(s) said Thank You: ts-d

More
12 years 7 months ago #8179 by ts-d
I haven't got so much mates (paddling surfski) beside me, if I go on the water and this water isn't the ocean, but only a river for little cargo boats (200m lenght and 6m width), from time to time the Bodensee, the Mediteranian Sea or the East Sea. And I don't have a coach in proximity to ask.

Therefore I asked you - thank you.

Very fine tipps, Rightarmbad - you're handicaped too? Then we are already three or more.

You would also say: Buy a paddle, but buy it not to long - right?
Because the rotation will do most of the way leading the paddle trough the water.

But I have got a paddle, very small, but a beautiful paddle, the Bracsa Junior - many a member will laugh over the kids paddle.
I tested the Epic, very fine finish, very light, but I found it inexcusable - a little bit undercut and over and done! That's nothing for me. The bracsa is excusable. But eventually not perfect for surfski? I want not to prepare for a racing but paddling for fitness and fun.

seakayaks (Francesconi Esplora, Lettman Polar, Valley Nordkapp Jubilee), Stellar SR

More
12 years 7 months ago #8180 by ts-d
My question was not principally ... if my old paddle was 212cm and has a blade, 6,5cm shorter than the new, the new paddle has to be 13cm (6,5 + 6,5 each side) longer to reach the water beside me until the beginning of the shaft - is this right?

More
12 years 7 months ago #8198 by Rightarmbad
Depends on the shape of the blade.
For example, a teardrop shape feels a different length to a parallel side blade.

Like I said, only way to know is to try.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 7 months ago #8203 by ts-d
what's your body lenght (for comparison)?
stocky or normal or the opposite?

More
12 years 7 months ago #8205 by Rightarmbad
192cm with long limbs. 85kg
I'm currently running 205cm with a mid large blade.

More
12 years 7 months ago #8207 by ts-d
very surprising - 192cm and only 205cm !!! o. k.

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #8211 by Shady
Replied by Shady on topic Re: Medium Size Paddle?
On the advice of Dean Gardiner I use a Fenn 3 205-215 adjustible.
I had previously used a $200 Finn Wing paddle, Im not exactly sure of the dimensions but I'd suugest it was a small blade and was maybe 200mm. I certainly noticed the extra volume of water the Fenn 3 was able to grab hold of.
Again on the advice of Dean I set the paddle at 212mm with a 60deg feather. After 3 or so hours of paddling I find myself winding it back to 210mm. I havent played around with different lengths or angles, I need to find out more about why and what effect changing the angle has.

I'm very happy with the Fenn 3 but as I havent tried any other paddles I cant make any recommendations.

Oh, by the way, Is there any problem in using a Fenn paddle and an Epic ski?

Epic V10 Sport Performance
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Shady.

More
12 years 7 months ago #8221 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re: Medium Size Paddle?
OMG fenn paddle with an epic ski ????? the trademark gods will smite thee.......

More
12 years 7 months ago #8224 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re: Medium Size Paddle?
OMG ! I'm using an Epic paddle with a Fenn ski ! :whistle:

More
12 years 7 months ago #8230 by ts-d
hello AR_convert,

what's your body lenght (for comparison)?
stocky or normal or the opposite?

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #8233 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: Medium Size Paddle?
192cm tall
medium build (85kg)

Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by AR_convert.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ts-d

More
12 years 7 months ago #8236 by Rightarmbad
Don't forget that at least 5kg is your hair.....

More
12 years 7 months ago #8310 by ts-d
5kg - a little bit to much - o. k. your hair is very corpulent.

o. k. I've seen, it's better to have resources (p.e. more boost in quick acceleration) and the blade must not be to smallish ... and it's better to shorten the shaft to get a high stroke rate or to reduce the effort.

I asked Hein (Carbonology Sport) and he advised to choose the medium size too, but to take the shorter version (not 210-220cm but) 205-215cm. I'll order this one.

Latest Forum Topics