Zenith Sport Science paddles?

More
12 years 3 months ago #9445 by ginga_ninga
Hi guys, just wondering if anybody has an experience/thoughts/reviews regarding Zenith Sport Science (ZSS) paddles?

zss.com.au/Zenith_Sport_Sciences/Paddles.html

I'm a relative beginner paddler, been borrowing paddles from friends but now think I should get my own (not many second hand paddles about it seems!) and think one of their 'E' series adjustable ones might be a goer. Apparently they are very similar to an Epic Mid-wing, which I've used and found comfortable.

So any thoughts? I haven't been able to find anything on the net or any of the forums about them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnno1977
  • Visitor
12 years 3 months ago #9455 by johnno1977
Replied by johnno1977 on topic Re: Zenith Sport Science paddles?
Hi Ginga,

I wasn't intending to respond as my opinion may be biased as I am the owner of Zenith Sport Sciences. I will try not to express my opinion but rather tell you about the product.

I have the paddles manufactured in China and sell them here in Australia.

The blades are made to my own specifications (i.e. layup/construction), they are not just an off the shelf product. I mainly carry a surf strengthened construction as most individuals who purchase them use them in the surf and those that don't, seem not to mind the extra 70grams in weight which adds additional strength.

The finish on the blades is very clean and comparable to any of the high quality paddles on the market. This is due to the polished aluminium molds used in construction. The blades have a cnc machined high density foam core which enables the stiffness of the blade to be created with minimal weight. The separation of the layers by he foam also increases the strength remarkably compared to the same construction weight using fibre only. The epoxy blades are heat cured. The edges of the blades are reinforced with carbon and glass. Why use a very small amount of glass at all? Glass tends to be much better under impact than carbon (i.e. hitting the side of the boat and has less tendency to chip.

I carry a reasonable size stock of four blade sizes and they are supplied on adjustable oval shafts (40% or 80% carbon; difficult to compare the stiffness of shaft to other shafts as the wall thickness is a major factor in the stiffness as is the diameter or internal distance/space in the case of the oval shafts in the direction of pull/force). I use the 40% myself as I find this more than stiff enough but each to their own.

I don't just carry the paddles but also shafts, blades, spigots and adjustor mechanisms so I can service the products I sell and ensure I can minimise the wait time for customers on parts if needed.

I have experience in manufacturing composite equipment (kayaks), repairing composites and coaching and racing at an international level which has been essential in developing the knowledge I have utilised to help create the product I have.

I am more than happy to answer any questions you my have and hope I have provided you with a little more insight into the product.

Cheers
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics