My new Surfski

More
11 years 6 months ago #13830 by Physio
Re: My new Surfski was created by Physio
And how she sits in the water, with a friend taking it for a spin round the bay.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13833 by ElRicho
Replied by ElRicho on topic Re: My new Surfski
Looks very cool. I first saw one of the JKK skis at trans taupo which sat next to a V10L and to be honest it looked very very similar. Is this the same JKK ski or a new one?
I can certainly recommend how strong his boats are. I've had a UFO for years and haven't treated it very nice :) And it loved it!!!!

As far as the re-sale price (re UV etc) you spoke of, well it may also be because they are an expensive boat it the first place. But I can not knock the quality and strength.

See you out there

More
11 years 6 months ago #13834 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: My new Surfski

Physio wrote: footplate, the peddles/footplate is one peice, molded with flex material with the carbon, so they are self centering.

You do not have permissions to access this page.

and the footwell with adjustment, simple to slide in out, easy to do in the water, if you needed to swap boats with someone, the bottom clicks into place.

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Thanks for sharing the photos, it truly is an intriguing design and looks great! How does the footplate lock in once adjusted? Just wondering what is to stop it falling out if the ski capsizes?

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
11 years 6 months ago #13838 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: My new Surfski
So in the case of a capsize, you can just keep going using the upward facing rudder for control.
Unique indeed.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
11 years 6 months ago #13846 by Physio
Replied by Physio on topic Re: My new Surfski
yep
that would assume it was flat enough that you were paddling with the rudder at its shortest (upright)
I'd have to admit I tend to loose form paddling upside down, the demo ski has a thigh strap to assist this, but i'm still not up to it skill wise.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13847 by Physio

ElRicho wrote: Looks very cool. I first saw one of the JKK skis at trans taupo which sat next to a V10L and to be honest it looked very very similar. Is this the same JKK ski or a new one?

No the first ski he built (the Hadron ) was 6.4m by .44m so similar dimensions to v10l
this one is the same hull as his magnitar multisport kayak 6.2m cant find overall beam, we measured it once at my waterline at 435mm i think at the top of the cockpit outside to outside about 445mm

I have been looking around to see were it fits with the other boats on the market and to me seams to be fast intermediate. short v10, SEL or fat SES I think it would be perfect for those that are the right weight for an SES but just struggle to feel comfortable in all conditions.

In outright speed it seems to keep up with the fast boats but runs out of speed quickly...very quickly.. or that could just be me :laugh:

More
11 years 6 months ago #13849 by sAsLEX
Replied by sAsLEX on topic Re: My new Surfski
I like the idea of the retractable rudder, however if you were to use it in a river and unexpectedly strike a rock then the damage would still be significant compared to a rear mount!

More
11 years 6 months ago #13850 by 1xsculler
Replied by 1xsculler on topic Re: My new Surfski
Ted Van Dusen (vandusenracingboats.com) makes a rear mounted flip-up rudder which can be fitted to most any ski, I'm told.

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #13851 by Physio

sAsLEX wrote: I like the idea of the retractable rudder, however if you were to use it in a river and unexpectedly strike a rock then the damage would still be significant compared to a rear mount!

this is not a rudder made for river paddling, you def need a flip up if you want to bounce off rocks, the design is around having a rudder which is fast on flat and up wind, which can then be lowered while paddling to cope with down wind. As a lot of races and recreational trips are a mixture of conditions.

I'm not sure yet the pros and cons vs other systems, but unless manufact. Try dif things we won't know what works and what doesn't
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by Physio. Reason: Addition

More
11 years 6 months ago #13856 by Physio

AR_convert wrote: Thanks for sharing the photos, it truly is an intriguing design and looks great! How does the footplate lock in once adjusted? Just wondering what is to stop it falling out if the ski capsizes?

Sorry mised this question, the strip along the bottom has L shaped slot, which the plate fits into down and forward, has a def click forward and needs a quick wack back at the base to release.
I'm unsure how this will last, if it will start to get lose with time. I'll deal with that if it happens.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13904 by [email protected]
(Apologies for the mysterious missing thread. One of my spammer buddies dropped a post in here and I deleted the entire thread by mistake instead of only the last post... Nice restore button.)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Latest Forum Topics