Strange Leak on Apex Double

More
11 years 3 months ago #15097 by vdz
I've had a strange leak on my Custom Kayaks Apex double of late. We consistently take 2-4 litres of water each paddle (1-2 hours), but once the bung is released a mass of air escapes the hull, suggesting there is pressure in the boat. This is the confusing part, as the pressure suggests there should be no leaks.

Can anyone provide some insight into this issue or if there is anything obvious I am missing?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #15098 by marklewin
Hi,

We, (Custom Kayaks), manufacture the APEX and would like to assist where possible.

If any surfski,(APEX or any other brand for that matter), takes 1-2 litres of water when you have paddled it, but you cannot see any visible signs of damage on the outside, there is a good chance that a drain hole in the ventury system is damaged or dislodged from the hull. To test, turn the boat upside down, block the drain hole with your finger or some duct tape on the inside of the cockpit, place your mouth over the whole drain cup on the outside of the hull. Your cheeks should pull a dead vacuum if the drain hole is sound. test each one. If you suck air out of the craft, then when paddling, water can enter the ski from undeneath the boat and the foot well area. To double check if this is the only area of possible damage, tape over the inside drain hole, and completely tape over the ventury on the outside and paddle the ski. By isolating the one that is potentially leaking, the ski should not take in water any longer.

The reapir to this should be done by somebody that is familiar with boat building. Where about are you based. Regards

More
11 years 3 months ago #15099 by vdz
Replied by vdz on topic Re: Strange Leak on Apex Double
Hi Mark,

Thanks so much for the prompt reply and insights. I'll test that this afternoon and get back to you.

I am based in CPT and usually take the boat to the boat repair service found at the former Brians Kayaks location just off Milnerton.

Latest Forum Topics