Uno to Uno Max

More
10 years 7 months ago #18520 by Nordy
Uno to Uno Max was created by Nordy
Just wondering if anyone has made the move from a Think Uno to Think's Uno Max?
What were your reasons for doing so? How has the transition been? Any areas where the older Uno impresses more than the Uno Max?

I ride an Uno and while I really like some of the design features on the Max, I think I have a soft spot for the old Uno. Something about that yellow and grey design ( unfortunately no carbons this side of the world :-() that just says Hello!

Would be interested to hear from any who've made the move.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18522 by wesley
Replied by wesley on topic Uno to Uno Max
I owned an Uno(27lbs) for over a year and paddled it frequently among my other skis. That was about 4 years ago. It was for me the most unstable ski I paddled outside my Mil. That did not stop me though because it was fast and I loved the fit. I eventually could paddled it with confidence in moderate conditions. I sold it because I had other skis that were just as fast and significantly more stable. Two months ago I bought an Uno Max(28lbs). I was expecting it to be very similar in stability but was pleasantly surprised that for me it is significantly more stable and far more predictable, a different boat indeed. It tracks nicely and is very well behaved in the conditions I paddle in. I have not had it yet in very rough conditions but plan to do so before I write my review this winter.

I have alway loved the fit of all my Think boats and was excited to try a more stable Uno in the redesigned Uno Max. I jumped right in a after a few paddles was good to go after I figured out the correct position of the footplate for me. My original Uno seemed to be faster but I need to do a few more longer time trials in my Uno Max to figure out where it fits on my comparison chart as far as speed. It has excellent speed in the same range as my SES's, V12, and Uno in comparable layups using the 7 inch rudder. On my 6 mile flatter Time trial course the Uno has my 2nd fastest time, 3rd fastest time with the winner being my Van Dusen Mohican flatwater surfski ski. I have done that course 166 GPS timed paddles in all my skis. I don't think my Uno Max will top that but will wait and see.

Some other guys can tell you in more detail about the specific design changes beside the obvious of a more volume ski and the bucket is different.

In summary the Uno Max is far more stable at least for me at this point in my paddling career. I plan to race it some for next season.

Wesley Echols
SurfskiRacing.com
#1 in Surfski Reviews.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18539 by Nordy
Replied by Nordy on topic Uno to Uno Max
Hi Wesley,
I know what you mean about the fit of it. The littlest adjustments make a pretty significant difference with some things. A 1 inch move forward of tge footplate made a big difference for me as well. Stability is definitely a factor that comes into play when you head out past the river mouth in the UNO, so interesting to hear how the UNO max handles it in comparison.

Maybe one day ill get to compare it in person. Only problem is here in Japan, the closest Think supplier ( only think supplier actually) is about 700 kms away!!
Happy with the uno till then.

Thanks for the thoughts.

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 1 month ago #18547 by Rod Thomas
Replied by Rod Thomas on topic Uno to Uno Max

Nordy wrote: Only problem is here in Japan, the closest Think supplier ( only think supplier actually) is about 700 kms away!!.

Hi! I'm in Sendai and as far as I know the only surf ski up here. Where are you? Drop me a line if you want to get in contact.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Rod Thomas. Reason: removed email: too much spam

More
10 years 7 months ago #18554 by Nordy
Replied by Nordy on topic Uno to Uno Max
G'day Rod,
I've sent you a mail. You'll be able to paddle down to Chiba in about 3 hours from Sendai!! :-) nice to find another paddler here.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18602 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Uno to Uno Max
Hi Nordy,

I've paddled both extensively. I'm light at 77kgs, so I'm on the very lower limit for a Max. However, I love how the Uno Max runs. I've even gone back to the Uno for several months since the Uno Max was released, but kept finding myself drawn back to the newer ski, for both flat water and downwind conditions. I absolutely love the design, simply the best ski I've plonked my back side in, for me.

I paddle the 15kg Performance model at the moment, with the 7" fin.

Cheers.

More
10 years 3 months ago #19736 by fb_528446375
Replied by fb_528446375 on topic Uno to Uno Max
I have a think uno max with a different color scheme. It has a red/orange nose and a light greyish back. Can anybody tell me how come mine looks so much different to the ones with stripes?

More
10 years 3 months ago #19765 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Uno to Uno Max

fb_528446375 wrote: I have a think uno max with a different color scheme. It has a red/orange nose and a light greyish back. Can anybody tell me how come mine looks so much different to the ones with stripes?

An Uno Max with an orange front and grey middle and back is the very first mold. It has since had the paddle cutaways smoothed out for aesthetics. Apart from that, the same ski, but you've got an older colour scheme.

Latest Forum Topics