Swordfish vs. Vault

More
9 years 8 months ago #21684 by JC
Swordfish vs. Vault was created by JC
Would there be a flat water speed advantage in going from a Swordfish to a Carbonology Vault? If so, would it be outweighed by any decrease in stability in the Vault in bigger water? (I'm an intermediate paddler who can handle pretty much any conditions in the Swordy.) Thanks for any thoughts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #21686 by Ronbo
Replied by Ronbo on topic Swordfish vs. Vault
I had a Vault and loved it. It went well in protected waters, but was a bit much for me to handle in the ocean. I wanted something faster for flats and more stable for ocean. As such, I've gone to a two ski strategy. I have a Swordfish when I want more stability in the rough and a V12 when I want more speed in the flats.

You will likely find the Vault a little faster than the Swordfish in flats, but more squirrelly in the rough. I would consider it an "advanced intermediate" or "sub-elite" ski.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC

More
9 years 8 months ago #21687 by zamalek
Replied by zamalek on topic Swordfish vs. Vault
Gone from SF to Vault to new Zest.When conditions do not allow a surf paddle we dice on the Umdloti lagoon with a "hotspot" dice to under the freeway bridge.On the SF I am riding someone else's wave.
This against Fenn 6,Millenium,Elite & V10S.With Vault have managed a couple of wins so for me quicker on the flat.

When downwinding nothing beats the confidence you get in a SF,stable but for me at 90kg,a "wet" ride.The Vault is definitely quicker and catches runs seemingly easier,also dips its nose a bit but with the bullet scuppers drains in no time.It does demand more input and is twitchier but turns on a dime.My times have improved on this boat,without a doubt.

More
9 years 8 months ago #21690 by [email protected]
I too found the Vault faster on the flat than the SF, but wet and tippy in downwind conditions... I did a couple of Millers Runs on the Vault and got good times, but also fell out on at least one of them.

I've also observed a paddler in our Hout Bay series who paddles a Vault... In Hout Bay he's miles ahead of me - but when we have downwind races, I beat him - partly because he doesn't do as much downwind as me, but also because he's very tentative in big water in the Vault.

I too would rate the Vault as a kind of sub-elite ski - and would rate it for smaller/lighter paddlers. (I'm about 85kg, say 89kg with wet gear).

Can't wait to try the new Zest downwind!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Latest Forum Topics