Why no pros on Nelo 560?

More
6 years 4 months ago #30615 by davgdavg
Other than Oscar C, why aren't any more pros using the 560? It seems Nelo has far more sponsorship money to throw around than Epic, Fenn, or Think, so what is the reason? I'm curious why there really only seem to be three boats used these days (the V12, Elite S, and Uno Max).

Opinions?
The following user(s) said Thank You: SurfskiEstonia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #30616 by SurfskiEstonia
Very good question. Tim Jacobs comes to mind as a Nelo-sponsored elite paddler, but it seems he's gone back to K1 paddling/coaching?

Current: Carbonology Boost double, Jantex Gamma Mid
Previous: Nelo Ocean Ski L, Jantex Gamma Rio Large Minus

More
6 years 4 months ago #30621 by Canadasurfskiguy
I've been thinking about this as well as I'm pondering the idea of a 560m. I've been looking into the perks of a shorter boat for lightweights (like myself) and according to both Ralph Bakers research (The theoretical Optimization of the length of Surfskis kayaks) and Greg Barton's comments in the revised Epic speed comparison, there are solid speed benefits to lighter paddlers having a shorter boat. But heavier paddlers need the length to support their weight. Most pros are pretty big heavy people so (according to Baker & Barton) a 5.6m ski would be slower for them than the traditional 6.4m ski.
Bakers calculations has 6.45m being the optimal length for a combined boat/paddler weight of 122.5kg and 5.35 being optimal for boat/paddler weight of 82.5kg. He also states that there is only a small speed penalty for giving a light paddler too long of a boat, but there is a greater speed penalty for giving a heavy paddler too short of a boat. Therefore according to Baker, the 560 is way to short for most heavy weight pros.

That's my best guess anyways.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SurfskiEstonia

More
6 years 4 months ago #30624 by [email protected]
Nelo currently have a policy not to sponsor ski paddlers (except the big O).

Not sure why, but I'm sure that's why none of the big guns are on their boats.

One wonders whether it actually affects their sales. They have quite a big differentiator in pushing the shorter boats and perhaps that's enough as a marketing ploy.

I've tried the Nelo 520 and 550 downwind (Miller's runs, steep, wind-generated chop) and they certainly need a different approach. My old Evo II is very forgiving with its large volume nose but is much less maneuverable. I found the Nelo skis incredible maneuverable but you have to develop techniques to keep the nose out of the water. They come with spray deflectors, which help to some extent, as does the radical cut-away at the back of the cockpit which enables you to lean right back.

Of course the big O, at 100kg plus, seems to go just as fast (if not faster) on the short skis which defies all logic and theory. But then he could surf a telegraph pole.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: davgdavg, Wavehugger

Latest Forum Topics