Help choosing a south african K1

More
5 years 7 months ago #32620 by zachhandler
I am looking at importing a south african k1 to the USA this fall. I currently paddle a kayakpro aurum in sprint weight with tiller steering. I want a marathon weight boat, and I want pedal steering. I am looking at the Raid and Spectra from Kayak Centre, and the Vantage pro or vantage plus from Knysna. I am 80kg/175 lbs. My marathon speed these days is about 12.5kph. I don’t really race k1 much though, I mostly just use it as a flatwater training boat.

Does any body have and insight into the pros and cobs of these boats, or have any experience with how they handle? Any advice appreciated!

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago #32624 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Help choosing a south african K1
Sorry, no help with your search Zach, but I'm curious, how do you go about importing a kayak from sa?

More
5 years 7 months ago #32626 by [email protected]

Does any body have and insight into the pros and cobs of these boats, or have any experience with how they handle? Any advice appreciated!

I asked a buddy who is an extremely experienced paddler. He sells boats so I don't want to name him, but this is his unbiased opinion (he's not going to be selling a boat to you!):

Would stay away from the Spectra. Very loose in the rear and with the hard edges it gets damaged easily.

The Kayak Centre boats have a little more rocker than Knysna and turn faster but can be loose on the wash.

The Vantage is a great marathon craft. Sits well on the wash but needs more skill to turn. (When talking about turning I am referring to tighter turns than in flatwater marathons. 90°-180°.)

River racing in moving water and with obstacles, the Kayak Centre boat performs better.

My 2 cents

And after some more thought, he said:

He can look at the Assault/Attack from Kayak centre as well. Hank McGregor has used it at world's before.

Hope that helps!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
5 years 7 months ago #32641 by zachhandler
Thank very much Rob! I have only heard great things about the vantage pro. I am very intrigued by the radical design of the spectra, but I heard from one other reliable source that it is a little more fragile. I attached some picks of the spectra hull.

Marcus I am getting a boat through Bruce Gipson at Venture Sports in florida.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
Attachments:

More
5 years 7 months ago #32644 by SurfskiEstonia
Wow, this is one weird design indeed :)

Was the idea taken from surfskis or have they been doing that before on K1s?

Current: Carbonology Boost double, Jantex Gamma Mid
Previous: Nelo Ocean Ski L, Jantex Gamma Rio Large Minus

Latest Forum Topics