Rudder limiter

4 months 3 weeks ago #33873 by tve
Rudder limiter was created by tve
Since we're into rudders... ( www.surfski.info/forum/19-boats/19509-how-big-of-a-rudder.html ) I'm wondering about the rudder limiter in the Epic surfskis. I don't know whether all have it, but some limit the rudder travel to something like 45 degrees. My Nelo 550 doesn't limit the rudder at all and I have the feeling that I regularly over-steer when on top of a wave. Well, half the time the rudder is out of the water (lean back!) and the other half I'm pushing the pedal as hard as I can to turn and I'm sure the rudder is just cavitating back there. Hence I'm wondering whether I should rig something up to limit travel vs. trying to learn how far I can press the pedal before the rudder becomes just a brake. Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 months 3 weeks ago #33874 by PSwitzer
Replied by PSwitzer on topic Rudder limiter
With practice, you will develop a feel for when your rudder begins to stall/ cavitate and you won't need any sort of artificial limiter, your reflexes become the limiter.

Here's something you can try- relax the angle of the pedals so they are flush with the footplate, or even tilted slightly towards the bow, away from you.  The 550 is such a reactive boat that you don't need much pressure on the pedals to execute big direction changes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics

Interval training, good or bad? (9 Posts)

12 hours 22 minutes ago

Getting lost (9 Posts)

12 hours 36 minutes ago

Surf-ski rental in Copenhagen, Denmark (6 Posts)

18 hours 20 minutes ago
Protected by R Antispam