indented bailer on Nelo 510

More
4 weeks 9 hours ago #40863 by Really clever username
I've got a plastic Nelo 510 that I bought used. The area around the bailer is indented. Pretty sure that this is something the plastic has done over time. The hull doesn't have much thickness here--i think the plastic of the footwell floor is sitting right on the bottom of the boat. If I leave this out in the sun on a hot day (well supported so the boat doesn't sag), will this deformation fix itself? Is there anything else I can do? I'm not sure if this is really slowing down the boat-- it'll try to surf on waves less than a foot high.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #40866 by mrcharly
I have a 510, an older model.

Mine isn't as indented as that, but there is a slight deformation.

I suspect it happens when the two layers of plastic are compressed as the bailer is fitted.

It still works fine and I don't think it perceptibly affects boat speed.

If you are concerned about small fractions of a knot affects on boat speed, you are paddling the wrong boat! 510s aren't quick boats.

They are reliable, durable boats that are a good introduction to surfskis (or, for someone who also paddles in touring mode like me, a terrific all-round boat)

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #40867 by Really clever username
Yeah, it's probably not the fastest. This is also the previous model, which i gather is fractionally narrower than the current model. It's certainly less stable than a v8. I'm pretty sure that right now I'm the one holding boat speed back more than the boat.

Do you think longitudinal scratches slow the thing down? It's generally in good shape by plastic boat standards, but the soft plastic does scratch very easily.

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #40868 by mrcharly
Scratches will slow any boat, but non-perfect technique and lack of fitness are bigger factors.

I 'buff out' scratches on my boat with a bit of hard plastic. In my case I use plastic bicycle tyre levers. Just rub the scratched area hard and fast, it smooths it out.

Latest Forum Topics