Help with choice of first Ocean Ski / spec Ski.

More
13 years 3 months ago #6275 by JRED
Hi

I need some advice. Recently got back into kayaking but now I’m doing it on the sea. Started off with a plastic tub then quickly discovered I liked playing about in the surf so went and got a second hand Viking Javelin ( a 4 meter ocean / Surf Ski, plastic). This has been great fun for the summer so far but now I have my eye on doing something a little more serious. So, I am now in the market for a used Ocean Ski but I am aware that I will need to work my way up the stability ranks until I am an accomplished paddler..

The question is this, has anyone entered into the world of ocean skis as a rank amateur as I have and had any experience of the following that I have short listed.

Make model width

Fenn XT 48.4
Epic V8 55.8
Epic V10 43.4
Spirit PRS Ski 50
Finn Endorfinn 54
Finn Molokai 47.5

Or, does anyone have other recommendations?

Any advice would be most welcome. I am 6’ 2” tall and weigh 95 kilos, not fat but ex rugby player build so a bit top heavy. Decent level of fitness.

thanks

JRED

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #6276 by Dicko
These are all good boats for a beginner (assuming you mean a v10 sport, because a v10 is an intermediate/elite level boat).
Second hand the PRS, endorfinn and molokai skis are readily available and relatively cheap. The endorfinn is the most stable of all the boats you have mentioned, but is also the slowest. The PRS is not made for taller paddlers. The PRS and molokai are more like a v10 sport in stability. They have similar speed to an xt. The down side is their weight, which makes getting them to the beach and off the car a bastard. If you are serious about paddling you tend to outgrow the plastics in about 6 months.
The composie boats are a better long term option, but are harder to master initially. If you live where the water is warmer and don't mind a swim while you are learning, try these. The v8 is too new to the market to find second hand.
The v10sport is probably a bit tippy but is a great ski. The xt is a brilliant beginner ski but tend to get snapped up when they come on the market. Paddle a few skis and see what is comfortable......then buy the xt.
The xt I learnt on is still doing the rounds. The last time I saw it 2 kids were sitting in the cockpit rocking it back and forward. It still floats....tough as nails that boat.
Realistically though if you bought any of these skis you would still have fun and wouldn't be disappointed.

More
13 years 3 months ago #6278 by JRED
Thanks for the advice Dicko. I’m off to try a few out this weekend , not sure what they have at the store but will ask for a heads up on any Fenn XT’s that come on the market.

Glad you picked that one as it was #3 on my “best looking “list behind the V8 and V10.

Hopefully I will get enough Autumn and Winter paddling in around the Mornington Peninsula, VIC, to be competent enough to splash out on a V10 or similar for next summer.

The water here is, I expect, not as warm in the winter as it is where you are, so less time spent in the drink would be better.

More
13 years 3 months ago #6280 by bobmoffatt
The Stellar SR would be well worth a look at as well.

Past skis,Spirit Racing ski,Singer SLSA ski, Davenwood Eradicator, Custom Kayaks ICON, Think EVO, Stellar SR excel...current skis Stellar SES advantage, Stellar SEI excel

More
13 years 3 months ago #6281 by Dicko
SR is a new boat. Price would be competitive to. Here's a thresd for an xt for sale in your area. www.rapidascent.com.au/Forum/ForumTopics.aspx?tt=5&e=6

More
13 years 3 months ago #6282 by JRED
Thanks

Will probly need a few options up my sleve for the second hand purchase and learn to live with it while I train up.

More
13 years 3 months ago #6285 by AR_convert
Great area to paddle in, spent a couple of years in Hastings (ex-Navy), really enjoyed the surf at Flinders when I waveski'd, didnt oceanski paddle there but knowing the Penninsula layout it wouldn't be too far a drive to find either a downwind run or some sheltered water...oh..and for what its worth, I was about the same height, weight when I got started and found the V10 sport a great boat, the Fenn XT is also a great stable boat but a tadd slower ;)

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
11 years 3 months ago #15102 by Surfboy1
Hello,
is your Javelin 14 for sale?
Regards,
Lothar.

Best Regards.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #15133 by partymarty
I come from a seakayak background, where I considered myself pretty experienced, paddling an epic endurance, which is a tippy fast seakayak.

I was tossing up between a v10 and v10s and am now glad I chose the v10s. The learning curve was a bit steeper than I expected. I was able to jump on the ski and paddle straight away, with only the occaisional swim, but I never feel totally stable. I'm about 5 weeks in.

So I'd suggest that you get something that will test you initially, so maybe ignore the total beginner range, and look towards more of a mid range design.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by partymarty.

Latest Forum Topics