Surfski in Melbourne Area

More
12 years 2 months ago #10322 by Tox1444
Hi Guys

I'm moving to Melbourne, Australia, and am looking for information on the Surfski paddling scene over there; clubs and locations; where I would go to be plugged in to the sport etc. Including Port Philip Bay, and the Bass Strait coast.

Thanks
Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #10329 by AR_convert
These guys have regular training and a few of them have paddled skis across Bass Strait.

www.peakadventure.com.au/store/index.asp

Always looking for the next boat :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tox1444

• apaddler
  • Visitor
12 years 1 month ago #10811 by apaddler
Replied by apaddler on topic Re: Surfski in Melbourne Area
Leaving Melbourne in the next couple weeks. In summer there are some guys who train in Port Melbourne but in winter we tend to train on the Yarra.

There is not a huge amount going on really, but as the previous poster said, your best bet is Jarad's squad or potentially some guys who paddle out around black rock i believe.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10890 by Tox1444
thanks for the info. is it worth me bringing across my river boat - the type of DR canoe used in the Avon Descent? Is there a river or flatwater paddling scene up the Yarra or elsewhere?

• apaddler
  • Visitor
12 years 1 month ago #10895 by apaddler
There are a number of crews who paddle from mercantile boatshed in the city or wesley boat house about 4km up from the city. It is all flat water. Guys paddle K1s. If your DR boat is one of those bulbous nose things, you would need to head to Tasmania to get any white water.

There are also a couple of clubs (Ivanhoe or Fairfield) where they do some flat water stuff.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10898 by Tox1444
My boat looks something like the attached pic - it's not a white water DR boat you're thinking of. I'll look into those places you've mentioned thanks. I guess there's also the Murray River as well?
Attachments:

• apaddler
  • Visitor
12 years 1 month ago #10905 by apaddler
ok, SA river boat :laugh: Murray is a long drive - 3 plus hours. Some people train to do the race, but not really that interesting - 400km of flat hot river. Did a race there a couple months ago (60km) which was ok.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10915 by JML
Replied by JML on topic Re: Surfski in Melbourne Area
Re your inquiry about paddling in Melbourne - Fitness Paddlers Australia run Time Trials in the Melbourne area on a weekly basis. Beaumaris one week - Geelong the next. Courses are around the 10km mark and they run all year round. A handicap system is used so paddling ability is equalised for the purposes of the Time Trials. For all the information you need and to register for their newsletter etc go to www.fitnesspaddlers.com.au

More
12 years 1 month ago #10916 by JML
Forgot to mention - all the Time Trials are run in the bay and ocean and set up especially for surfy ski paddlers.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10921 by Tox1444
Cool - thanks for the advice!

More
12 years 1 month ago #10922 by Tox1444
Thanks JML - what days do they run and what times?

More
12 years 1 month ago #10926 by JML
The next one is this Saturday 31st March - Beaumaris. 8am for 8.30 Start.
7th April - St Helens Beach, Geelong. 8am for 8.30 Start
14th April - Beaumaris etc. etc.
Details of the events are on the web site www.fitnesspaddlers.com.au
If you register as a member (Free) you go on the mailing list and receive all the info each week including weather updates etc.

• Rabubiman
  • Visitor
12 years 1 month ago #10973 by Rabubiman
Replied by Rabubiman on topic Re: Surfski in Melbourne Area
Having just moved here 6 months ago from Auckland it is easy to underestimate the surf-ski scene in Melbourne. I did, and am pleasantly surprised. There is the Fitness Padllers TImetrial in Beaumaris/Gelong alternating every week. There is the Outlaw Crit surfski series that has just wound up, and a bunch of other races that run through the season. Through Jarad's group we train together a couple of times a week, and there are regularly 30 plus paddlers down at Sandridge at 5:45 in the am before work taking part in the Peak Adventure training sessions and group squads. Check out the Melbourne Paddlers Group on Facebook, where we synch up for paddles and training sessions. In short, there is a fast growing surf ski scene in Melbs that is well organized and accessible to all. Also, don't underestimate The Bay: I have had some world-class down wind paddles from good old Beaumaris to Sandridge, a 24km course, on the prevailing SE'lies. Drop me a message if you are looking for more info....

More
12 years 1 month ago #11012 by Tox1444
That's exactly the info I was hoping for! Thanks - very useful. I will be sending my Epic V10 Surfski in our container next week and will be there myself in May. Would appreciate staying in touch and will see you on the water. I assume it's useful to belong to the Sandridge Surf Lifesaving Club, and also for storage of boats etc?

Latest Forum Topics