Pre-race breakfast tips?

More
12 years 1 month ago #10384 by CyberSki
I am new to racing and am unable to figure out a basic rule-of-thumb for eating prior to a race. (if that exists) Any tips on what to charge my fuel cells with in the last hours before a race, be it one of 5 or 20 mile lengths? Thanks!

Fenn Swordfish and Epic Midwing.

Past skis include Stellar SR and SEL, KC Zeplin, Think EVO, and in-between version of Epic V8 Ultra. Jantex Gamma is my sword of pain..though my elbow may force me to a smaller blade now. :-(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10401 by water2deep
this article is written for a triathlon focus but I would say it would work for surfski to.

beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=176

and to add to it.... just go out and experiment. with different foods.

I haven't done many surfski races but before any other event I eat oatmeal a few hours before ( low GI carbs) then closer to the time I chow down some bananas ( a higher GI),my unprofessional aim is to have those carbs then digested and the energy ready for race time.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10402 by [email protected]
Rule of thumb is to eat 2 hours before but it's sometimes a bit tricky, especially with an early start. For example the Cape Point Challenge starts at about 05h30 which theoretically means eating (oatmeal porridge in my case) at about 03h15. Not so great trying to force down food at that time.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
12 years 1 month ago #10406 by Rightarmbad
You wouldn't go too far wrong with a big glass of Sustagen mixed in water.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 1 month ago #10410 by bajax
Replied by bajax on topic Re: Pre-race breakfast tips?
Tried a product called Futurelife this Dusi for the first time on recommendation from other paddlers had great sustained energy on all three days.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10450 by Kiwibruce
Number 1 race rule , don't experiment with new products/diets on the morning of your big race , try them out beforehand to make sure there are no adverse reactions .

Latest Forum Topics