Price?

More
12 years 1 month ago #10754 by hamishglen
Price? was created by hamishglen
I'm new to this, and keen to buy an Epic V8 Ultra (for the added stability).
Browsing 2nd hand - why are these waaaaaay more expensive than V10's or V12's?? The larger engine sizes are lighter also??
Can anyone shed some light?
I like the shorter length at 5.5m also.
6m+ 'aint fitting in my garage...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10755 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: Price?
Supply and demand I should think - the V8s haven't been around long and they're popular so there won't be many on the second hand market yet. They'll always have a good resale value IMO because anyone can paddle them - the beginner market is much bigger than the elite level market (who would paddle V10/V12).

The weights depend on the layup - if you're looking at a glass V8, it'll be a lot heavier than than V10 Ultra (which is made of vacuum bagged carbon, etc.)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
12 years 1 month ago #10756 by CyberSki
Replied by CyberSki on topic Re: Price?
I agree with Robin on the supply/demand opinion. There seems to be a larger supply of "Club" and "Performance" heavier layups hitting the boat classifieds too. Not sure if these were simply due to paddlers wanting to "upgrade" to a lighter version or losing interest altogether - but wish those folks had all put up the extra cash for the lighter layups so we could reap the benefits of their flagging interest!

Maybe the prices will come down once the Stellar S18S and Think Eze shorter skis starting hitting the boards. However, don't expect that till next year.. :(

Fenn Swordfish and Epic Midwing.

Past skis include Stellar SR and SEL, KC Zeplin, Think EVO, and in-between version of Epic V8 Ultra. Jantex Gamma is my sword of pain..though my elbow may force me to a smaller blade now. :-(

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #10757 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re: Price?
Check out the custom kayak horizon. You can get them NEW for around $1800. Damned good beginners boat and it fits your garage. Rob has done a review somewhere on this site. I can't see why you would fork out twice as much for a beginners boat. My wife has learnt to paddle in this and my 8 year old can paddle it. Has the easiest pedal adjustment around. Oceanpaddler stocks them in Australia.
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by Dicko.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10758 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: Price?

Dicko wrote: Rob has done a review somewhere on this site.

Surfski.info Review: Custom Kayaks Horizon

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #10761 by thebigadski
Replied by thebigadski on topic Re: Price?
Since you are in Melbourne it may be well worth your while searching out a new THINK eze.

Details for the VIC dealers on the link attached.

www.thinkkayak.com.au/dealers-3/

AS stable as the V8
FASTER than the V8
Slightly SHORTER than the V8
NARROWER catch than the V8 (even narrower than the EVO ii!)
BETTER weight/price ratio than the V8
& most importantly.....
SEXIER than the V8!! B)

Recent reviews and comments can be found on the Think facebook & Think WA facebook pages.

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by thebigadski. Reason: link failed

More
12 years 1 month ago #10762 by hamishglen
Replied by hamishglen on topic Re: Price?
Thanks for the info Adam. Can you cut me a good deal?!

More
12 years 1 month ago #10763 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: Price?

hamishglen wrote: Thanks for the info Adam. Can you cut me a good deal?!

$2795 for a 15kg glass Eze. The nearest V8 is 16.5kgs and will set you back $3500.

There's a good deal if ever I saw one.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10764 by CyberSki
Replied by CyberSki on topic Re: Price?
Has anyone out there looked/tried the new Nelo Viper55 ski? Now THAT is innovation!! It lists weights from 7.5 to 12kgs!! (and some nice handles that I wish all skis could have)

Fenn Swordfish and Epic Midwing.

Past skis include Stellar SR and SEL, KC Zeplin, Think EVO, and in-between version of Epic V8 Ultra. Jantex Gamma is my sword of pain..though my elbow may force me to a smaller blade now. :-(

More
12 years 1 month ago #10765 by hamishglen
Replied by hamishglen on topic Re: Price?
Adam - What is the price tag on the 'Elite' model?
I like the storage port, great place to put a jacket, etc...
(I'm into fast touring)

More
12 years 1 month ago #10766 by Stew

hamishglen wrote: Adam - What is the price tag on the 'Elite' model?
I like the storage port, great place to put a jacket, etc...
(I'm into fast touring)

Hi Hamish,

$3795 for the Elite at 12kgs. Both the Performance and Elite are in stock right now.

Cheers,

Stew.

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #10767 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: Price?

CyberSki wrote: Has anyone out there looked/tried the new Nelo Viper55 ski? Now THAT is innovation!! It lists weights from 7.5 to 12kgs!! (and some nice handles that I wish all skis could have)

I agree, something shorter, light and with handles would make a trip down to the water for a training paddle so easy. Off course its not going to be as fast or a racer, but for a fitness work out it just makes it too easy. Similar dimensions to my sea kayak, without as much hassle. I would give one a try.
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10768 by Stew

Kayaker Greg wrote:
I agree, something shorter, light and with handles would make a trip down to the water for a training paddle so easy. Off course its not going to be as fast or a racer, but for a fitness work out it just makes it too easy. Similar dimensions to my sea kayak, without as much hassle. I would give one a try.

Nothing wrong with shorter, more stable skis. I did 52mins 15secs for our 10km Rose Bay Blast course on Wednesday night on a 15kg Eze. Howling NE'er and incoming tide makes that course a little slower, but the stability from the Eze meant no power was lost in a really messy, choppy conditions. Had a ball out there.