What is Seabird designs like ?

• opl1
  • Visitor
12 years 2 weeks ago #11200 by opl1
What is Seabird designs like ? was created by opl1
Anyonebody know anything about this one, they are really cheap

www.kajakk.biz/storefront.php?c1=263

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• opl1
  • Visitor
12 years 2 weeks ago #11201 by opl1
Replied by opl1 on topic Re: What is Seabird designs like ?
ops i think i posted in the wrong catogory im new here :)

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #11205 by ionas
i saw one of them at the last Kanumesse kayak show in Germany last September. We were supposed to receive a demo for assessment through our importer but it never came. The designer Seabird is a very talented norwegian designer who has moved to China and has several very good designs insofar as kayaks are concerned, this is his first surfski, I know his kayaks are of top quality, but I have absolutely no first hand experience with his surfskis

More
12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #11207 by AR_convert
Interesting discovery, sounds like they are taking things very easy not getting ahead of themselves. The wave 5.5 ski is the only one I can find on their website and that appears to have been around since September 2011.

Looking around thier website looks like they are into lots of paddling markets
, they are supplying some plastic kayaks into Australia, hopefully the same supply lines can be used to get some of the composite skis here too.

Just some quick currency conversion, the 17kg layup is around $1650 aus, the 15kg, $1950, the 11.5 kg is $2450 and the clear carbon 10.5kg $2750 !!!!

I could almost cry, we really are being taken for a ride in Australia!!!

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 12 years 2 weeks ago by AR_convert.

• opl1
  • Visitor
12 years 2 weeks ago #11209 by opl1
Im a beginner, which one would you guys as beginner choose, 5.5 6.1 or the 6.4 ?

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #11212 by ionas
general rule, wider and shorter is stabler and more suitable for beginners. Long and very narrow skis are only for semi pros and above

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #11213 by Edge540
If you are total beginner 5.5 would be a good start, especially
if you want to venture into some rougher water.
As you get better you can always move up to more faster ski.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #11214 by DougMar
ionas: Please do not go so far as to say that the elite skis are for elite paddlers. Most of the posting members on this forum regularly paddle elite-type skis, and I'm sure very few of us would define ourselves as semi-pro or above. While the “elite” skis are not for beginners or slow intermediates, an intermediate paddler that has some balls can do just fine in calm conditions on an elite ski. From that point, it’s just a matter of practice frequency and determination before honing enough skill for the bigger waters.

• opl1
  • Visitor
12 years 2 weeks ago #11215 by opl1
I dont think i would mind the challenge of a more difficult boat to control, i have lived walking distance to the ocean all my life and spent alot time in the water with different watersports.

Im considering to start with the 6.1 15kg seabird

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #11216 by ionas
surfskis are made to tackle ocean conditions, not lakes. If I wanted to row on a lake I would opt for a K1 and enjoy its pure speed. So if I want an ocean capable rowing ski I would choose prudently according to my skills. There is no way a non expert paddler will handle a long ski in anything above moderate swell, without losing greatly on speed, and getting very tired. I personally use a 6.40 ZTech Dominator as slim as they get (44cm wide) but I regularly tackle waves higher than 1,5- 2 meters. Choose wisely, otherwise you will have a ski you cant handle even in moderate conditions. Wait till you get into even moderate chop, especially coming from different directions simultaneously, then you will be wishing for a wide and stable ski. Actually, on some conditions, wider skis may even be faster in the long run. I know of many paddlers who bought aggressively and have ended up trying trading in their boats for more intermediate paddler oriented craft

More
12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #11227 by DougMar
ionas: you sound as though you are extremely opinionated, and are directing your opinions at the wrong crowd (I could be guilty of that myself in one or two threads). There are quite a few members on this forum that routinely paddle their elite skis in large lakes and large bodies of water (Atlantic) that in many places do not create the conditions that the ski was initially designed for, yet these paddlers still get the most out of their weapons of choice: elite level skis! In fact, I've race my ski in a couple of flat water k1 marathon events (just for fun) with multiple portages and came away with far above expected results, passing many a k1. Greg Barton has indicated that after about 1500m, the typical elite ski is just as fast, if not faster, than an Olympic k1 (both in the hands of competent paddlers). I would also estimate that most skis in the world do not see the southern ocean and roaring 40’s, nor conditions approximating them. In fact, most the conditions are much flatter than the original intent of the ocean ski! So, perhaps you should rethink your position on the uses and values of the elite ski, there, buckaroo. :)
Last edit: 12 years 2 weeks ago by DougMar.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #11228 by ionas
the discussion started on the merits of wider skis for beginners facing ocean conditions, so my advice to beginners not to get overoptimistic with the choice of ski still stands. 50to 55 cm skis for novices and intermediate paddlers are the logical choice. Now if they want to stick to glassy water they could tackle a slimmer and longer boat, but paying a few thousand dollars is something to be reckoned with. As the kayak- canoe instructor at our club, a very frequent question I am posed with by entry level paddlers is the choice of craft, to which I respond by suggesting a craft which may cover a wide range of possibilities. If you live close to a small lake and plan to go no further, get a tippy super fast boat, but if you live close to an ocean and you are a beginner get a boat which you can use and enjoy as often as possible. My advice stands

• Aterra
  • Visitor
12 years 1 week ago #11238 by Aterra
Replied by Aterra on topic Re: What is Seabird designs like ?
Seabird design is a Norwegian company and some of their boats are designed by swedish Bjorn Thomasson. I shouldnt call those skis for surfski. Maybe "flat water ski" is a better word for what it is. If you plan to surf in waves with your ski i think they are the wrong ski for you. All of them will be pretty stable.

Regards Leif/sweden

• hast
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #12337 by hast
Replied by hast on topic Re: What is Seabird designs like ?
Hi

Here you can read more about SeaBirde Wave surfskis: www.sportkajaker.se

If you want to read about a test (short) of Wave 6.1 plus pictures of Wave 6.1 and Wave 5.5 etc. you can check either www.facebook.com/sportkajaker.se or surfskis.blogspot.se/.

They all are written in Swedish but you can use the Google translater.

/Hans
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by hast.

• hast
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #12339 by hast
See my comment below
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by hast.

• hast
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #12340 by hast

Aterra wrote: Seabird design is a Norwegian company and some of their boats are designed by swedish Bjorn Thomasson. I shouldnt call those skis for surfski. Maybe "flat water ski" is a better word for what it is. If you plan to surf in waves with your ski i think they are the wrong ski for you. All of them will be pretty stable.

Regards Leif/sweden

Leif, what do you know about SeaBirds surfskis? It's amazing that you have an opinion in this matter before you or anybody else had tried them (at the date you wrote your post)??

It might also be relevant that you inform that you aren't independent in this matter as you are representing another surfskis brand at the Swedish market.

/Hans Stén
sportkajaker.se

More
11 years 9 months ago #12360 by Zammy
I have a ski from the same designer, but made for www.nordickayaks.se

It is 590cm long and 44cm wide with a weight of 14,5kg, still very stable even for a begineer like me. I had it out in 2-3m waves and 10m/s gusting 18. I did fall in a couple of times, but had great fun between.

It would be interesting to try the seabird skis, the price is attracting.
Attachments:

• hast
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #12370 by hast
Hi Zammy,

Good to hear from you. Of course you are wellcome to come and try the SeaBird surfskis. sportkajaker.se got all three modells (Wave 5.5, Wave 6.1 and Wave 6.4) available. Where are you living?

/Hans
sportkajaker.se

Latest Forum Topics