Epic V10 Sport V Think Evo II

More
12 years 1 week ago #11302 by Epic evo
For anyone considering these 2 boats I can let you know my feelings toward them. I first tried a Epic V10 Sport after coming dead last in the 2012 big blue bash paddling a Finn Endorphin plastic. And found the transition easy it was an old Epic but still ok as a first REAL boat . I then participated in the Easter Saturday Think Kayak Blast and paddled the race using a Think Evo
I found it a bit tight and had a bit of brusing around my thighs as a result. It took a bit of getting use too but it was nice to paddle. I did manage to pass a Think UNO Max and had a Epic V8 trying to catch me but to no avail. My time was 0:49 minutes for the 8 km run. The need day I took the old Epic V10 Sport down and ran a time of 0:51 minutes. Today I used the new Epic V10 Sport Club and ran a time 0:50:39 minutes I did fall off once so I think it is all just down to me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 week ago #11325 by AR_convert
I saw that old Epic you were paddling :ohmy: do me a favour so I can sleep at night and DONT paddle it out in the open ocean without a lifevest and flares, that thing has some serious wear and tear, but is an ideal starter ski for around Cockburn sound and protected waters.

The fella you passed in the Think Uno Max has probably done less paddling than you, he is trying to punch way outta his league and I hear he is waiting on an Evo II to arrive.

They were great events for new paddlers and the demo day attached to the Easter day was excellent to try out over 11 different ski's. It's not often you get a mirror flat day like we had for the race, so I'm not surprised you couldn't replicate your race time.

If you are not already on the ratherbepaddling website drop in and say gidday, a lot of us are doing both river marathon races (on our ski's) and ocean ski racing and hang out on that forum. There is a 10km race this weekend up at Mosman that you could do!?

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
12 years 1 week ago #11328 by Epic evo
I now own a brand new Epic V10 Sport should I just stick with that or get the think evo II ? According to the online details they are the same width but I felt so tight in the think.

More
12 years 1 week ago #11331 by Sandy
Dude , you got it so go flipping paddling !

More
12 years 1 week ago #11336 by AR_convert

Epic evo wrote: I now own a brand new Epic V10 Sport should I just stick with that or get the think evo II ? According to the online details they are the same width but I felt so tight in the think.

Mate they are both great skis, cant got wrong with the sport, it will keep you challenged for at least 12 months, longer if you are only paddling a couple of times per week.

The only thing you may wish to do with the sport is put some hip pads in to give you a snug fit in the bucket, not so much an issue until you do downwinds or are out in bumpy conditions where a tight bucket can help with stability.

More
12 years 1 week ago #11338 by Epic evo
South Beach Fremantle to Rockingham 1 hour 46 minutes New Epic V10 Sport No wind

More
12 years 1 week ago #11342 by AR_convert
Yes, my spies can verify that ;)

My paddling buddy said he saw you when he got back to the beach from our paddle, I live a few hundred metres up the beach from there.

Yes, very flat today, we got a lift back from the Garden Island bridge on the wake of a catamaran for a few km's, quite fun chatting to to the boats passengers while my bow was up underneath the stern riding the wash off the two hulls right in the centre.

More
12 years 5 days ago #11382 by Epic evo
Can anyone tell me at what point will the type of ski make a difference. And to win races what percentage of the win would be due to what boat you had?
What would be the difference in time from 2 paddlers of equal skill one in a epic
V10 sport Club and the other in the top of the line V10 Sport carbon Kevlar ski ?

More
12 years 5 days ago #11383 by Edge540
Lighter vs heavier ski. What is the difference?

Well, for intermediate/experienced/elite paddler, lighter is always the choice, if budget allows.
lighter = less wetted surface = more speed = faster acceleration.

For beginner paddler, in flat water lighter is better.
But in rough conditions heavier ski might have the slight advantage
due to its weight and slight more flex in the hull, will feel a bit more stable.

If you have the money go for the light one.

I am paddling and racing Fenn Mako Elite (glass 37 lbs) can't afford $4000 ski. Sure it's heavy, but I am still doing fine at races and having fun.

More
12 years 5 days ago - 12 years 5 days ago #11384 by AR_convert
I used to take great delight in passing / beating paddlers in thier carbon skis when I had my club spec V10 sport. I wouldnt recommend anyone get anything but fiberglass for at least a couple if years, your first boat will get dropped, knocked against stuff, blown down the beach as you slowly figure out how to carry it, store it, place it on the beach etc.

Others may have a different take on this but apart from ease of lifting on and off the car I never saw the value in an ultralight beginner/novice ski.

Last edit: 12 years 5 days ago by AR_convert.

• seema123
  • Visitor
12 years 3 days ago #11405 by seema123
Replied by seema123 on topic Re: Epic V10 Sport V Think Evo II
jump in one for a test drive someday to see if its right for you.

More
12 years 11 hours ago #11440 by Epic evo
Anyone willing to give me a few pointers I frequent palm each Rockingham most days

More
12 years 9 hours ago #11441 by AR_convert

Epic evo wrote: Anyone willing to give me a few pointers I frequent palm each Rockingham most days

Pointers on .....?

I live there so can catch up whenever.

More
12 years 7 hours ago #11442 by Epic evo
That will be great. Just paddling technique I want to be able to do the think 8 km blast in under 49 minutes I was planning to go down tomorrow morning at about 10:30 11

More
11 years 11 months ago #11443 by AR_convert
Mate, tomorrow is no go, have my folks visiting from interstate, they leave Monday so we should be able to get together some day afterwards. My mobile no. is 0407 477 263. Brett

More
11 years 11 months ago #11444 by Epic evo
YES Think 8km Blast 47:10 Epic V10

Latest Forum Topics