Epic Paddle Repair with Stellar Plug

More
12 years 6 days ago - 12 years 4 days ago #11368 by red_pepper
I've been having some challenges lately with my Epic carbon wing paddle. The inside tube for mating the two-piece paddle has developed longitudinal cracks that keep the collet from fully tightening the two pieces together. It's interesting to have the length and feather angle change on you while paddling hard in a race...

At any rate, I initially repaired the cracks with some cyanoacrylate (Super Glue), which held for awhile. Then I tried some epoxy, but that didn't hold long at all. Then about this time Wesley Echols sent me a plug for my Stellar SE, but it turned out to be a plug for a bailer like the one in my wife's SR, not for the bailer in my SE. In looking it over, however, I noticed that it appeared to be about the same diameter as the hole in the inside tube of my paddle... Sure enough, when I checked it out I found the plug fit the paddle perfectly. I've now epoxied it into the end of the paddle inside tube, where it's doing a fine job of keeping the tube from collapsing upon itself.

The photo shows how the pieces fit. I removed the cord before epoxying the plug in place.
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 4 days ago by red_pepper.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 days ago #11380 by latman
resins only have a tiny amount of the strength of fibres (or fibers depending on where you live) but I bet the thinner "super glue" was able to penetrate deeper into the cracks (how long are the cracks and how many is there ?)

More
12 years 4 days ago #11387 by red_pepper
You may be able to see the cracks in this image. There are three of them running longitudinally on the tube, arranged radially around the tube. Yes, the CA did penetrate the cracks and held fairly well for about 1/2 a year. I used it initially because I knew it worked pretty well for getting into cracks and for repairing fiber/resin bonds (used to use a lot of CA on model aircraft). I don't think the epoxy made it too far into the cracks, in spite of my efforts to open the cracks and get it into them. The plug is working well so far, however.
Attachments:

More
12 years 4 days ago #11390 by latman
Looking at that photo it looks like all the fibres run along the tube and cracks have simply formed along them , do the cracks go the same distance inside the tube ?I wonder if there are any fibres on angles or fully "hoop" wise ?

More
12 years 4 days ago #11403 by red_pepper
Yes, the cracks are through the tube. It appears all the fibers are unidirectional (and just one ply). A 0-45-90 layup would have been far better, or at least a 0-90 or 0-45.

Latest Forum Topics