Bung Open Water In! Rinse or just drain?

More
12 years 3 days ago - 12 years 3 days ago #11399 by Kneewall49
After a big downwind on Sunday arvo in the Epic double (for the first time), we had a gallon on board at the finish as the bung was open!

We got filled up a number of times, and had one swim after rounding Newport Reef, and a minor slew and roll coming into the sand. It does take lnger to drain than I would have imagined, but the boat stayed very stable when nearly underwater!

After hearing the water inside when lifting the boat we emptied what we could, I'd say about a 1/2 bucket full.

So my question: Is it better to rinse the inside with fresh water to prevent a build up of salt and subsequent absortion of moisture?

Next time I'll check we have the bug in!

BTW the double Epic was lovely in the big swell. Topped out at 18.5km, some nice long runs; easy remount; nice steering whe running, good lift when powering up. It was a nice rde. (Thanks Graeme)

Thanks

Northern Beaches, Australia.
[Fenn Swordfish, Fenn Spark, Carbonology Zest Double
Pain is temporary, glory can be even less so...
Last edit: 12 years 3 days ago by Kneewall49.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 days ago #11400 by Kayaker Greg
Yeah I would rinse it out as salt water inside your ski will never dry out as the salt attracts moisture. I put a little detergent in mine and rinsed it out several times to remove the salt and left in in the sun with the bow downhill to collect as much water as I could and drain frequently. There are products such as Salt Away which are probably pretty effective too. But I never get any water collecting in my ski (from moisture build up as can happen inside a sea kayak compartment that has salt in it) now so the rinse with detergent must of worked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kneewall49

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.