PFD suggestions

More
11 years 10 months ago #11740 by ejpoulsen
PFD suggestions was created by ejpoulsen
I'm always looking for a better PFD as I always wear one while paddling. Does anyone know if one like this with a fluid bladder holder is available in the US:

www.jkkkayaks.co.nz/accessories/personal-floatation-device

Also, it's easy to overhead in a PFD--does anyone have/know of a PFD that is well-ventilated?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11743 by Physio
Replied by Physio on topic Re: PFD suggestions
www.rasdex.com will supply anywhere in the world.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11752 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: PFD suggestions
I've always had fears of the dreaded overhead when wearing a PFD too.

I found that wearing the correct form of hat is essential, you need at least 6 cable ties sticking up to really get good preventative action.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
11 years 10 months ago #11754 by Bigdog
Replied by Bigdog on topic Re: PFD suggestions
I agree with the Physio on this one. Rasdex make a great PFD. I've used one consistantly for a few years now and they are really comfortable. They come out of NZ which has a relatively cool climate so it does get a little warm in the summer months

More
11 years 10 months ago #11755 by Simon Haywood
Replied by Simon Haywood on topic Re: PFD suggestions
For my two cents worth...For ocean paddling I use this type of PFD as it complies with the regulations in Australia and is not hot or uncomfortable. If you need it just deploy it!

cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte...ageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

• Seaugi
  • Visitor
11 years 10 months ago #11787 by Seaugi
Replied by Seaugi on topic Re: PFD suggestions
Contact Ocean Paddle sports in CA.
They sell both the Mocke and this one
www.oceanpaddlesports.com/site/index.php...duct-image-full/371/

More
11 years 10 months ago #11788 by ejpoulsen
Replied by ejpoulsen on topic Re: PFD suggestions
I am very interested in the Mocke vest but they have not had any available for quite a while.

• Seaugi
  • Visitor
11 years 10 months ago #11790 by Seaugi
Replied by Seaugi on topic Re: PFD suggestions
send them an email asking if they have more coming.
My friends who have the Mocke love it for its venting and pockets, but hate it for the zipper and the bulk in the front (one guy has even removed a bunch of the pellets)

If that doesn't work - try Mocke himself. He's probably coming to USSSC again this year. buy it direct, get it autographed - you'll go faster

More
11 years 10 months ago #11792 by gstamer
Replied by gstamer on topic Re: PFD suggestions
I asked Craig at The Paddling Centre (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) about the status of the Mocke vest earlier this week. His response was to watch for them around September/October.

Greg Stamer

More
11 years 10 months ago #11794 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: PFD suggestions

Sumo wrote: For my two cents worth...For ocean paddling I use this type of PFD as it complies with the regulations in Australia and is not hot or uncomfortable. If you need it just deploy it!

cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte...ageName=STRK:MESE:IT

I have this inflatable one for social downwinds. Unfortunately any race that requires PFD's in my area wont allow them.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
11 years 10 months ago #11808 by mgtown
Replied by mgtown on topic Re: PFD suggestions
I'm a fan of Astral pfd's. I know many of their jackets are compatable with a water bladder. For whatever reason I don't see the bladder on their website but from first hand experience I know they exist. I find the astral's to be extremely comfortable and well made.

My philosophy when it comes to pfd's is that if it's not comfortable you either don't wear it or don't wear it the right way.

The only downside to the astral is that they are a bit on the expensive side.

www.astralbuoyancy.com/2012/products/SeaKayaking.php

I can also recommend looking at stohlquist and kokatat pfd's. NRS makes/sells a generic water bladder.

kayak.nrsweb.com/search?p=KK&srid=S2-USW...ist&w=Hydration&rk=1

Latest Forum Topics