Happy Days

More
11 years 10 months ago #11813 by Warwick
Happy Days was created by Warwick
Ok, so the forum is an opportunity to share your news and views, well my news is I have just upgraded my ski from a Custom Kayaks Mentor (entry Level) to a Custom Kayaks Focus (intermediate).

So what, you might ask. Well, I am stoked, I am completely passionate about this sport and have been working like a dog to keep up with the mid-packers on their intermediate skis - now I am going to take them out!

I just wanted to share my joy with the world.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gwynnd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11814 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: Happy Days
Happy happy joy joy!

Pleased for you mate, how about some pictures of your new ski with some thoughts on how different it is to your Mentor for all those other beginners ready to take the next step. What made you chose the focus over the other intermediate ski's around?

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
11 years 10 months ago #11815 by Physio
Replied by Physio on topic Re: Happy Days
Yep well done
Give it heaps

More
11 years 10 months ago #11816 by Warwick
Replied by Warwick on topic Re: Happy Days
I paddle in Durban, and have just seen how many happy Focus paddlers there are - there are many testimonies about how paddlers have improved their race times significantly since they got their focus - I wanted some of that!

The ski is very stable and from that point of view, it is an easy step up to take with a big improvement in speed, the after sales service from Custom Kayaks I have found is excellent.

Comparing to other intermediate boats, I have only paddled the Fenn Swordfish, and found the Focus to be slightly more stable and it seemed to pick up slightly better on small wind swell than the Swordfish. It would be interesting though to see a shootout with a whole range of intermediate skis to compare apples with apples.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moll

More
11 years 10 months ago #11817 by RHamady
Replied by RHamady on topic Re: Happy Days
Don't forget the stickers....the more stickers on your Ski, the faster it will go !!

Congrats and have fun!
Be safe,
Aloha,
-Rich

More
11 years 10 months ago #11818 by Rookie
Replied by Rookie on topic Re: Happy Days
Hi I agree, would love to see a shoot out between the Focus and the Swordfish.. and have eagerly been trolling the site for one B) Hint hint Rob ;) You are welcome to use mine in the shootout if you are looking for one in Cape Town. Everyone who paddled it on Sunday thought it was great. Just let me know i can drop it off some time.

Focus, Apex 2, Zeplin
The following user(s) said Thank You: owenfromwales

More
11 years 10 months ago #11820 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: Happy Days
Hey Rookie,

There's a real buzz around the Focus - I'm intrigued. I only got to paddle it once over the Christmas period for a very mild reverse Millers Run... None of my usual marks were around so it was difficult to tell how fast I was going and the conditions were so mellow I couldn't really tell how stable I was feeling.

Your mate Richard (I'm guessing) was chatting about it on Saturday at the Paddle for the Planet at Fish Hoek... I'd love to give the boat a go.

I'm mostly paddlng the Genius Blu at the moment; another really nice intermediate boat... We had a great (mellow) Millers Run on Sunday afternoon.

Blu v Focus v Swordfish...

There's a winter racing series starting up in Hout Bay on Sundays, starting June 17, which gives a great opportunity to compare the boats. I find there's nothing like racing to do comparisons!

Let's chat! Presumably you live in the Southern Suburbs? Maybe get together this coming weekend?

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 10 months ago #11831 by Rookie
Replied by Rookie on topic Re: Happy Days
Done :) I have a massive presentation for the end of my course on Sat (9th) so I am bogged down until after that. But would love to paddle on Sunday if you are free otherwise i could drop it off Sat afternoon and you keep it until after the race on the 17th and then i would take it back. Lets chat This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 0791376963 regards

Focus, Apex 2, Zeplin

More
11 years 10 months ago #11873 by Physio
Just hyjacking the forum a little, but happy days def fits. Since my patients decided it was too icy to come and see me I went paddling, I know there is no surfski in sight, but the kayak is warmer and i can just walk down my drive and put it in the river.

On other trending posts I worked out I cant really leg drive in this boat without changing my set up as I've always been quite snug as this improves the feel through rapids, will make some changes and try again, will have to keep using this boat as my boat bulider is out paddling with me instead of working on my ski.

Attachments:

More
11 years 10 months ago #11874 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re: Happy Days
In Australia, winter means wearing a thicker rashie. Putting on booties is a sign of weakness and will result in an hour of insults from those tough enough to paddle without them. Don't even consider gloves, unless you want to be branded for life.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11875 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re: Happy Days
It's wintertime in Huahine (French Polynesia)... i still paddle in speedo. B)

More
11 years 10 months ago #11876 by Physio
yep we had coldest temps on record

More
11 years 10 months ago #11878 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: Happy Days
Uuurgh, cold and wet in Cape Town... I must be getting old - opting for gym during the week instead of getting on the sea in the lovely rain and dark.

Getting worried about the fat paddler v surfski.info challenge in Mauritius!

One day, Hiro, one day, I'll get over to your beautiful part of the world!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 10 months ago #11880 by Marieski
Replied by Marieski on topic Re: Happy Days
Australia includes Tasmania Dicko, and there is snow on the Mountain. OK if I wear a sharkskin top with my shorts?

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7

More
11 years 10 months ago #11881 by Hiro
We have two great races in september :
- sept 1st, I Mua Nui, channel crossing from Tahiti to Moorea;
- sept 8th, Maraamu Surfski, channel crossing from Tahaa to BoraBora, part of Oceanpaddler World Series...

More
11 years 10 months ago #11882 by Hiro
Oh ! I almost forgot, nice pic Physio. New Zealand is a beautiful country. Last time I saw snow was sooo long ago !

More
11 years 10 months ago #11886 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: Happy Days
Same day, same place, before the sun came out.

www.canoeracing.org.nz/home-1/news/archi...12/winter-wonderland

Latest Forum Topics