Question for Sumo

More
11 years 8 months ago #12521 by Mech
Question for Sumo was created by Mech
Hi.You mentioned you have a V8 and V10 sport.How much of a learning curve to to go from the 8 to the 10 sport?How much faster is it?Any other comments would be appreciated in comparisons.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #12526 by FalllGuy
Replied by FalllGuy on topic Re: Question for Sumo
I also have the V8 and recently went over to the V10 Sport.

This is how I feel about the transition...

When you get to the point in a V8 where you are comfortable and confident in most situations, the transition to the new Z series cockpit V10 Sport is very natural and confidence boosting.

I flatwater paddled 15 miles my third day out in the Sport.

The new narrower, Z series Sport cockpit, is basically the same as the V8, so the paddling position and footplate position are the same.

That familiarity really helps with the transition.

I would say that it would only take a month or two, of regular paddling, to get to about 85% or higher of the confidence level in the V10 Sport that one would have in the V8.

Throw in sitting on a 65cm balance ball with your feet in the air for ten minutes while watching TV at night, and the shaky few minutes you may experience when first getting into the boat disappear very quickly.

Once you get solid balance in the V8, I think that a quick and successful step up into the Sport is all but guaranteed.
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by FalllGuy.

More
11 years 8 months ago #12531 by Simon Haywood
Replied by Simon Haywood on topic Re: Question for Sumo
Hi Mech, I was 49 when i started this adventure 125kg and very unfit. In the last 6 months I have shed 15kg and got a lot fitter. I am mainly paddling on the river and I am still on the learning curve.

Last November I tried the V8 & V10 sport on the same day. Whilst I could sit and paddle the V10 sport(I prefer the look of V10 sport - love the lines) I couldn't go very far before feeling very unsteady and eventually falling off(on very flat water! the ego took a hit). I took the best bit of advice ever for this sport - check the ego at the door. So I bought the V8 in December(had to wait for it to come in from China).

Jan-Feb, Paddled the V8 couple of times a week(8km sessions) top speed 8km/hr.

February, I had the opportunity to buy a V10sport...Still couldn't paddle it without falling off on flat water.

March I thought I'd get a bit more serious (as I now had two boats), So I had a couple of lessons on technique - money well spent!

April - July. I have joined a couple of training groups...I now paddle mainly 3-4 times a week (occasionally 5).

I have now been in several races in the V8(Flat water - no flow 12-18km) As a guide, I use a Garmin 910xt with a vaaka cadence sensor (stroke varies late 30's to early 40's/min) my average speed has varied (mid 9's to early 10's km/hr) in the V10sport over the same distance/conditions i'll get early 10's-11's km/hr. In a sprint at training(unassisted tide/wind/wave) top speed V8 13.7km/hr, V10 sport 14.8 km/hr...but I am not getting full power down with the V10S, some is going into keeping me upright! so still on the learning curve with that one.

In the ocean I have mainly paddled the V8 and have only used the V10 sport on really flat days...This is going to be next challenge.

If you have any other questions...feel free to ask

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
11 years 8 months ago #12564 by Mech
Replied by Mech on topic Re: Question for Sumo
Thanks for the info.Roughly translates into good for stability training for the next level up but not very big gains as far as speed goes.

More
11 years 8 months ago #12566 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re: Question for Sumo
Geez, a 1kmh gain in speed means you'll be struggling to see your mates at the end of a 1hour paddle. In terms of paddling, 1 kmh is a whopping 10 per cent increase in speed. The increase in speed from a v10 sport to a v10 will be much smaller.

More
11 years 8 months ago #12572 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: Question for Sumo
Just to put things in perspective, I started paddling as an already very fit triathlete and with all my training and boat upgrades I have seen a .5-.7km/hr improvement each year over 4 years.

My message here is that there are no shortcuts, it takes time, don't be in a rush to get into a faster boat, technique, technique and more technique. When you no longer seeing improvement in your current ski, then move up. Each time I have moved up it was after being absolutely rock solid in my current ski and hitting a glass ceiling with my speed.

Always looking for the next boat :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: FalllGuy

More
11 years 8 months ago #12583 by FalllGuy
Replied by FalllGuy on topic Re: Question for Sumo
Well said AR... Well said!

Latest Forum Topics