foot straps?

More
11 years 8 months ago #12862 by 1xsculler
foot straps? was created by 1xsculler
My double foot well, Huki S1-X came with foot straps but a previous owner cut them out. What purpose do they serve and should I replace them?
What are the advantages/disadvantages of double vs. single foot wells?

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #12863 by Physio
Replied by Physio on topic Re: foot straps?
I like foot straps.
I'm sure its a personal thing, esp the single/double options.
As a beginner its not going to make a huge dif. to your experience there will be some pros ( like being able to push and pull, and adjust your pos in the boat. and some negs. like falling out as you try to get your feet under the straps as you remount.
get comfortable in your boat then try some.

I dont think anyone is making single footwells any more, i believe the idea was to have less area in the bucket to fill up with water, but could easily be wrong there.
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by Physio. Reason: addition

More
11 years 8 months ago #12864 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: foot straps?
Yes definitely replace them, not only are you pushing with your leg drive but you should also be pulling your opposite hip forward slightly to help with your rotation. Otherwise your just jammed up against the back of the seat which tends to also lift you slightly, rub your backbone and throws your stability off, for me anyway.

More
11 years 8 months ago #12884 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: foot straps?
Absolutely replace them.
Apart from anything else, they make it easier to carry the boat and to hold it when you're in the water, and to remount when you can grip the footstrap with one hand as you boost yourself into the boat.

I've paddled a ski without footstraps and felt extremely uncomfortable!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 8 months ago #12898 by Marieski
Replied by Marieski on topic Re: foot straps?
I paddled for 18 months without footstraps when I first started on skis, as a result of an early experience being stuck in them upside down and nearly drowning. I didn't know how they would be helpful anyway.

When I finally got round to trying them again, my goodness, what a difference! I grew another leg, balance wise, due to being so much more connected to the boat. And I could now use my lower body for power, rather than holding on to the ski. Now, like Rob, I feel very uncertain without them.

Sculler, I would start using them as early as possible, though maybe loosely to start. Have a couple of practices at the remount, for sorting getting your feet both in and out.

I think the only advantage of double footwell is less water in the cockpit. I find single footwell 2 straps most secure but hardest to get feet in; single well, single strap easy to manage.

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7

More
11 years 8 months ago #12899 by 1xsculler
Replied by 1xsculler on topic Re: foot straps?
I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate all of the information you post on this forum. It really helps a total newbie like me get a grip on this challenging, awesome sport.

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

Latest Forum Topics