Newbie in Seattle needs help with conections.

More
11 years 7 months ago #12984 by Newbflat
Hi all.... First post here. I'm a beginner, actually a pre-beginner as I have never sat in a ski before. I have years and thousands of miles in sea kayaks and am/was an advanced white water paddler. The last few years I have done very little paddling. I have gained 30 lbs and turned into a slug. This is mostly due to several injuries, one being a rotated cuff issue. This phase of my life is now over! As of late I have made a conserved effort to get past my rotator cuff injury and start paddling again. A month in paddling 5 days a week and I'm doing ok, taking it slow and really enjoying being back on the water.

This flat water paddling really has me thinking about skis. At the moment I'm just working on getting back into some form of basic paddling shape without hurting my shoulder ( yes I'm also doing the requisite PT exercises). I'm paddling a slowish sea kayak ( Mariner Express) and can maintain an average of just a tick under 5mph/ 4.3 knots for an hour without hurting my shoulder. I know it's not very fast but I'm really trying to work on a basic fitness and my sholder rather than strength.

I really feel like its time for me to step up to paddling something faster and use a wing if I'm serious about fitness paddling. A surfski is the obvious choice and I'm motivated to stick with it and become a solid paddler. I really want to learn to use the properly and not wast time having to relearn bad habits.... done that been there.

Anyways.. Bah bla bla... What I'm really trying to find out is how to get connected with paddlers here in Seattle and get some formal and informal training. Also connecting with some other beginning paddlers for training and motivation. Poking around on-line has been fruitless in regards to contacts in the Seattle area and Bellingham is just to far to go regularly.

Soo.... I'm looking for pointers to the right places , people, and organizations in the Seattle area to help me get on the right path.

I don't have a ski at the moment or a wing but if I can take some lessons on both and get an idea on what kind of support there is for beginning paddlers in Seattle, I would pick them up in a hurry.

Any help or pointers people can throw my way would be most appreciated. .

Bill.... In Seattle.

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #12986 by Newbflat
Ugg... i posted this in the wrong spot i think. I just posted to "general" where it should be ...... hope i haven't already warn out my welcome already.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
Epic V8 double gen 2

Had:
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

More
11 years 7 months ago #12987 by waterbornewarrior
Hi Bill,

Most of the active surfski paddlers in Seattle are on this Google group. Feel free to join and we'll get you set up.

groups.google.com/group/swift-paddlers/

We do a Wednesday night race at Sand Point (Magnuson Park), 6pm, and you could try out some skis there. Unfortunately this is probably short notice for tonight!

Don

More
11 years 7 months ago #12988 by Newbflat
Ha!... thanks for that. I should have thought of Google groups.

I will be there next Wednesday! Just look for the 47year old sorta overweight guy staring longingly at the skis..

I will wright up a little introduction to post over there with my questions..

Thanks again.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
Epic V8 double gen 2

Had:
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

More
11 years 7 months ago #12997 by MMG83
Contact Seattle Canoe Kayak team. Sprint Natl Championships were just there last week...

There is also gig harbor/cascade canoe kayak club.

More
11 years 7 months ago #12998 by Newbflat
Thanks for that. Looks like it might be a good place to take lessions.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
Epic V8 double gen 2

Had:
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

Latest Forum Topics