Surfski choice for infrequent training

More
11 years 7 months ago #13150 by PierreinOntario
I am currently using a Think EVO I acquired this summer. I paddle twice a week on average, and if I have no real problems with this wonderful boat, I still feel anxious most of the time because of its relatively low primary stability. The boat twitches a lot and even if I very rarely fall and always remount very quickly and easily, it keeps me anxious all the time -who wants to fall?- and it doesn't let me enjoy nearly and push hard (synonyms for me) as much as I used to on my previous boat, a Think FIT. I am considering switching to either the Think EZE or a Stellar SR. I run, ride my bike, swim and lift and won't become a full time paddler so my skill level will always be moderate...
Does any one have experience with these boats and could you tell me how the three will compare in primary stability?
Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #13151 by zachhandler
The think eze is the same hull as the think fit. Just a different top. And it looks a lot sexier.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
11 years 7 months ago #13154 by Dicko
Stellar SR is surprisingly quick for what it is. A mate often paddles one when he gets worried about stability on his carbon boat and he is still pretty quick. Usually pretty competitively priced.
Read Fatpaddlers website to see his views on them.

More
11 years 7 months ago #13169 by Doc
Have you considered an Epic Sport? I find it more stable than the Evo and it may just be that extra bit of stability you need. Worth a try.

More
11 years 7 months ago #13171 by DougMar
Check out Huki's ski offerings, along with the gull wing stabilizer. You could get the skinniest, fastest ski and still fly with confidence with those training wheels attached.

More
11 years 7 months ago #13177 by Gazz
I've had an SR since February when I started paddling and like you Pierre it was mainly for fitness as I run, ride and gym as well. The SR was great but I was told that I was ready for the next level so I got a Think Evo 11. Well I've just ordered another SR in the Excel layup. I live on a large fresh water lake on the Gold Coast which can get quite choppy in the prevailing south easterly we get here. Being an average paddler ( at best ) I really struggle in the Think in conditions I could power along in with the SR. So it's back to Stellar for me.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13591 by PierreinOntario
Thanks for all who answered my question... I lean towards a Stellar SR but will also keep the Think EZE in mind. Hopefully someone will test both and give us a comparative review...

Latest Forum Topics