What to wear on top?

More
11 years 7 months ago #13186 by 1xsculler
I have been wearing a full wetsuit while I learn to balance my S1-X but I'm not swimming quite as often now and I'd like to know what most of you wear on top. I have a pair of 2mm neoprene shorts and surf booties but what to wear on top is my question. Is a wetsuit zip-up-the-front jacket or a drysuit top preferable as Fall and Winter approach? Do any of you find NRS waterproof gloves useful for winter?

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #13191 by fredrik
Replied by fredrik on topic Re: What to wear on top?
I have tried Sharkskin gear and that works well because it has a windstopper function.

Wetshoes, drypants (make sure it has high waist in waterproof material not neoprene) and Craft/HH polypropylene long sleeve plus a light goretex jacket (like bike jacket to shield spray/wind) works well in early winter and spring. Polypropylene/wool tops are also good, but I find pure wool tops uncomfortable

Wintertime in sub freezing airtemps and water down to 3 deg C I use my 6 mm wetshoes and a dry suit. NRS Goretex, Peak one suit and Ursuit MPS are a not very durable but good alternatives for workouts. One layer of polypropylene/wool is enough unless you expect to swim alot.

On my hands I use nothing or short nylon pogies (with glove backup in the PDF pocket as winter water quickly kills your finger function)

Be safe and always dress for the water temperature - this will be hot on warm spring days, but the alternative is a lot worse.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics