Pacific Ocean Series

More
11 years 7 months ago #13212 by Draftbuster
Who's coming to Hervey Bay?
The next round of the Pacific Ocean Series is on in a couple of weeks.Sunday September 30th.
Check out the Paddle2Fitness website under event for all the details.
Cheers
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #13218 by Rightarmbad
I'd like to come along and do my first race but I've been entered into a 4 hour MTB race that weekend.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

• JeandeFlorette
  • Visitor
11 years 7 months ago #13223 by JeandeFlorette
Replied by JeandeFlorette on topic Re: Pacific Ocean Series
RAB, how do you find the compatibility between cycling and paddling. I am currently cycling a fair bit and find that it energises me way more than paddling as well as giving me more power in my legs of course for future paddling session. For some reason, whilst I love my paddling and have been addicted to it for some time now, I find that after a good paddle, I am exhausted yet relaxed all at once.

The one thing I do remember with the Think Uno Max I used to own is that I used to get a great sensation of having done a great paddle and energised but I have not experienced that in other crafts. Unfortunately I found it too twitchy for me and had to get rid of it but I must admit that it had one of the best seats of all skis I had tried at the time.

Has anyone experienced this? Am I doing something wrong or is it just the nature of the exercise that makes you feel that way? Does anyone take protein drinks or anything else to recover quickly from a solid paddle?

Or maybe is it that as age kicks in (?!!), I should do less paddling and more cycling or a combination of both? what is a good regime? or take up knitting whilst sipping on red wine?

JDF

More
11 years 7 months ago #13239 by Rightarmbad
I am naturally a very good cyclist and runner.
Not so a paddler.
May have something to do with growing up 3 hours from the coast.

Right now my base is built on the bike and I am getting some speed back.
Interestingly enough, even though my paddling time has been small, my speed is also returning.
Right now my continuous paddle speed is around 11.4kmh, so I am still some .6kmh under what I was before I originally broke my boat and entered a life period that made it hard to get on the water.

But I do feel that the cycling is helping.

It is also a source of worry as many of my bike rides involve big long descents that tend to hammer my forearms, right now my forearms are sore after a 20km paddle this morning, had I not rode the day before, there would be no problem.

So I am going to have to be careful, after taking a big break from paddling to heal a persistent hand problem from rock climbing, I now bump into another problem in the making.

See how things develop over the coming weeks, but my speed is certainly coming back, and that I like.

And the best thing, my V12 shall be returned tomorrow.
Just the motivation I need to hit the water hard.

I also just finished putting together a new mountain bike tonight to race on in a couple of weeks.

Certainly my weight is coming down and that is thanks to the bike, I don't think that paddling does anything for weight loss.

I never feel trashed after a paddle since I went shorter length.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #13250 by Kayaker Greg
RAB, 11.4kmh continuous paddle speed, what do you mean? Over an hour time trial, endurance paddle 2 hours plus?
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
11 years 7 months ago #13315 by Draftbuster
As this is also an advert for a race in my home town.And it seems to have been hijacked.Im just going to move it back to the top for a day. :)

Cheers Hope to see you all here.

Chris

More
11 years 7 months ago #13349 by Kayaker Greg
And I'll bump it up again as it seems RAB has missed my question. :)

More
11 years 7 months ago #13434 by Kayaker Greg
So now your back RAB how about answering my question? :unsure:

More
11 years 7 months ago #13447 by Rightarmbad
Continuous paddle speed noted whilst paddling on calm water in the morning with no wave assistance on an out and back 20km in the ocean.
A decent effort but no one to push me so I would guess that it would be just under my anaerobic threashold, as that's where most people will sit unless pushed.

Totally unscientific measurement, but a decent guesstimate knowing myself.
Before I broke my V10 and was paddling everyday, I would normally get around 12kmh in the same situation.

So a pace that could be held for a while over 2hours I would say.

More
11 years 7 months ago #13450 by Kayaker Greg
Thank you, and that is impressive.

More
11 years 7 months ago #13453 by Rightarmbad
If you are interested, I now have an erg, and I am in the process of conducting some experiments that I will post up here.

The Erg has five resistance levels and I am graphing power versus cadance versus heartrate versus lactate measured at my earlobe.

I intend to find the best cadance for me to paddle at and will then modify my paddle size/length to achieve this in the real world.

All that I have proved so far is that an erg is hot even in front of the balcony sliding door at night.

A carbon paddle shaft without constant water lubrication on it is bloody hard on the hands.( I was warned about this and now wear the suggested white gloves)

Paddling power output compared to my cycling power output is woeful.

The old lady upstairs has very sensitive ears.

I am keen to do this now as I have only really just started to show some return to form.
After I have determined the best cadence/paddle, I will do regular tests to track my improvement in power output.

Getting any sort of meaningful data out on the real water is bloody hard to do, and this will fill the gap in my knowledge.

The results should be a series of 5 graphs.

I hope to glean whether there is a true benefit from my ultra short paddles in terms of amount of lactate present for the same power, therefore telling how aerobically efficient each configuration is.

I want to find if paddle length (ergo load) contributes to the amount of peak power available.

I want to accurately determine my anaerobic and my aerobic fat burn thresholds to the accuracy of a single beat.

When I know this I will have very accurate data for determining pacing for longer events which I hope to participate in.

Could be a while though....

More
11 years 7 months ago #13454 by Rightarmbad
And a new set of carbon wheels with latex tubes that ride 'oh so smoothly' has cured my sore arms problem....

But I did have cramping problems paddling today.
It was an impromptu day off so I went out for a four hour ride down the coast and when I got back was roped into a 10km or so paddle.

They didn't tell me they were going to do some decent efforts heading out and when we turned to get the downwind run home, I lasted about 100m and then my calf cramped and I rolled out of the boat to stretch it.

Had to play catch up to two distant figure all the way back in.

Riding a bunch on two bottles of gatorade plus water along the way and a quick energy drink before jumping in the boat, and then trying to play boy racer just don't work.

Other than that, cramping problems have been cured, many thanks to the magnesium posters on here.

Sorry for the thread hijack continuation......but the other thread has got me going.

Latest Forum Topics