tops for swimmers when it's chilly?

More
11 years 7 months ago #13466 by 1xsculler
What makes the best top garment during chilly conditions (not freezing but moderate Fall/Winter, Pacific Northwest USA) for those of you who, like me, are probably going to include at least one swim during each outing?
Is it a wetsuit top which seems like it would restrict movement or a drysuit top made of Gortex or some other material?

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #13467 by Mike C.
I really like the cold weather themal shirts from Mysterioso (www.mysterioso.com). Stays warm when wet, and does not restrict movement.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13468 by JML
Have a look at the Sharkskin Range - 4 way stretch, warmth of 2.5 - 3.0 Neoprene, machine washable etc - www.fitnesspadlers.com.au

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #13469 by AR_convert
For value for money you cant beat good old polypropylene thermals, you wont win any fashion awards but they are cheap and they are warm when wet. I mainly use the the top through winter, if it's really windy and cold I'll use the long bottoms under my paddling shorts.

www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Technical-Ap...ropylene-Thermal-Top

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by AR_convert.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13471 by drjay9051
i do think that polypropylene is the way to go. It can be had inexpensively as well.

Although I have yet to paddle in the cold I have used polypro in other outdoor endeavors.

I suppose neoprene works but I would imagine it gets a bit clammy. Polypro wicks and is just so comfortable.

militarythermals.com/about-polypro-2

More
11 years 6 months ago #13473 by boss
Poly tops are Great and really cheap. When's its really cold when I have done the Murray 200' I mean ice on the bean after 20 ks. I Have just worn a poly top with a wind breaker and they both last about4/5 years. I seem to be able to regualate body temp very well.they evaporate the moisture very well. Not fan of hot skins as i find I over overheat.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13474 by drjay9051
BTW: poly is polypropylene, NOT polyester !! Poly has very low thermal conductivity, in other words it will keep you warm and wicks moisture inc. sweat to the exterior !

In years past i had silk underwear for snow skiing but it's a bit pricy for good quality and the poly actually works better.

Anybody have input on wetsuits (neoprene.) I have never used one and am wondering how it works. i'd imagine very clammy as it does not wick moisture. Also looks very confining to me. Is it best left for diving or do some of you wear it to paddle ??

More
11 years 6 months ago #13476 by Kayaker Greg
Polypropelene for me too, if its a bit chilly a spray coat on top is warm enough for me.
Another material that works very well and if it was a little colder or I was swimming a lot I would use is nylon hollow core fibre, made for wearing under a wetsuit to make it easier to pull on a wetsuit and for added warmth, wicks water away from the body. I wear them on my legs through the winter but also have some tops made of the same material, warmer than polypropelene, look better, more comfortable, mine is made by 2001 Wetsuits in New Zealand but think Lavacore is similar, its kind of like fine fleece on the inside and lycra or four way stretchable material on the outside, very comfortable, drys as quick as polypropelene and probably a little more wind proof, just a bit too warm for me most days as polypropelene is warm enough with my PFD, however if swimming and it was colder I would use them up top without hesitation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13478 by 1xsculler
Thanks again for the good responses. It sounds like no one wears a wetsuit jacket probably due to chafing and restriction of movement.

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13480 by Zephyrus

1xsculler wrote: Thanks again for the good responses. It sounds like no one wears a wetsuit jacket probably due to chafing and restriction of movement.

Haha! I've been watching this thread but I guess I have to chime in now.

I've been kayaking on Lake Superior (50 degree water in the summer) for about 10 year w/o wearing a wetsuit.

When I started paddling a Rapier 20 2 years ago, I got a sleeveless triathlon wet suit for safety reasons. It is flexible and does not restrict movement (especially since it has no sleeves). The one negative is the top of the trapezius muscles get a better work out.

I plan on paddling later into fall this year when both the air and water are cold. For added warmth I got a triathlon wetsuit longsleeve 2mm top from desoto sport. It is flexible and because its only a "top" does not pull on the trapezius.

I haven't done any high intensity work outs in it though. I've used it for practicing rolling, and for just cruising around.

It will be interesting to see how warm it is as the air/water temps drop. It doesn't chafe or restrict movement, but it will probably be a bit hot for intense exercise.

When I X-Country ski and the air is 20 degrees I'm usually in a thin polyester top. However I think paddling and swimming/rolling in the winter will be a compromise between comfort while above the water, and comfort/safety while in the water.

I've never swam in cold water in polypropylene, does it really still insulate well while your in the water?

More
11 years 6 months ago #13490 by Watto
Insulates about as well as it keeps you dry - ie not. Once in the water insulating properties severely diminshed. Insulation in wetsuit comes from suit maintaining layer of water between skin and neoprene; in a dry suit no water in and air is the insulator. Wool, polypro and the like while providing some insulation once wet are less effective in the drink. Survival manuals seem to be split on clothes/no clothes if overboard for an extended period of time however as long as it's not pulling you under, conventional wisdom is keep it on (possible exception being cotton).

For me really wild windy winter rain/squalls paddling with low temps Perth 10-16 degrees celsius (our mean minimum is about 8 degrees) maybe a 3mm sleeveless wetsuit with a polypro thermal underneath or short paddling wetsuit bottoms and short sleeve Sharkskin.

For really chilly weather though couldn't justify it in Perth would be a cag. www.hikosport.com/cags-and-pants/.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13497 by Zephyrus
Would a cag/drytop work during swims? I would think water might leak in through the waist. Maybe the water seepage is slow enough to keep you mostly dry in the time it would take to remount

A nice thing about a wetsuit over dry top or poly pro is drag. You can swim a lot faster which could come in handy during emergencies

More
11 years 6 months ago #13509 by Watto
Literally for swimming, no a cag like swimming in a plastic bag. Was referring more to a swim being falling out frequently in cold water while paddling. See triathlon websites for wetsuits suitable to swim - Blue Seventy, Orca, 2XU etc. Very flexible in the shoulders, keep you warm and also buoyant. As posted earlier you could paddle with one but wouldn't want to be strenuous - you'd come to the boil early.

Latest Forum Topics