When are your races held?

More
11 years 6 months ago #13688 by Kayaker Greg
When are ski races held in your area? Typically races here in Auckland NZ are held at 3.00pm on a Sunday afternoon, or during the week we have a couple of series that are 6.00pm or there abouts on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
The reason the races are held at 3.00pm is because there is a higher likely hood of wind, however as most of these races are not solely downwind races it doesn't seem to make much sense to me to hold them at this time. And plenty of mornings are windy here in Auckland anyway.
I find having a race at 3.00pm on a Sunday really mucks up my weekends paddling, if they were held on a Saturday morning, as the local multisport club does, it leaves the rest of the weekend to do some distance or other paddling or training on the Sunday. Racing Sunday I have to be careful about not doing to much paddling the day before and I feel like I'm waiting around all weekend for the race, when I could be getting in some quality training the day after the race if held on Saturday mornings.
I work on the principal that you do your most intensive shorter training before you do your less intensive but longer duration training. Racing Sunday afternoons makes no sense to me, it takes away the opportunity of having the time to train for longer the day later.

Interested in what others thoughts are on this and when the races are held in your area?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13689 by Physio
dont have races down here in christchurch, other than some joint kayak races in estuary.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13690 by Kayaker Greg
Do joints and kayaks go together? :laugh:
When are your joint kayak races held then?

More
11 years 6 months ago #13695 by Physio

Kayaker Greg wrote: Do joints and kayaks go together? :laugh:
prob not
When are your joint kayak races held then?

races arnt regular, usally mornings, vary sat and sunday
I personally agree with you sun aft would be the worst time.
we always do reg sun morning longer 2hr paddle and regularly forgo races held on sun to train.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kayaker Greg

More
11 years 6 months ago #13696 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re: When are your races held?
Saturdays, mornings B)

More
11 years 6 months ago #13702 by [email protected]
Our season is just starting in Cape Town:

Tuesday evenings: races start at 18h15, 10km around Hout Bay...
Wednesday evenings: Downwind dash from Milnerton to Big Bay, starts at 18h00.
Friday evenings: Seadog series in Fish Hoek, starts at 18h00, never cancelled - 6km
Sunday: Best 4 Series - ten races all over the peninsula usually starts at 10h00, distance varies from 10km to 20km

The 50km Cape Point Challenge starts early in the morning. The paddlers start in batches, beginning at around 05h30, ten minutes apart. The reason for this is that slower paddlers starting first means that the fleet should come together at the half way point at Cape Point - and this is beneficial for safety reasons.

The Cape Town World cup race on 16 Dec will probably have some flexibility in terms of start time, to allow for the best wind - the race is intended to be a downwind course.

So it's a juggling act for the race organisers to trade off the convenience of starting at a fixed time with the benefits of being able to move the start time to allow for weather conditions.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

• bluefox_13
  • Visitor
11 years 6 months ago #13721 by bluefox_13
Replied by bluefox_13 on topic Re: When are your races held?
Monday evenings 5:30pm start here in Nelson New Zealand, from the local marina, but its open to kayaks and skis....

Wednesday evening if theres a wind we run a ski paddle normally try to meet at 5pm at tahuna beach and set a course then start the car shuttles....

Satruday morning 8am training session for a couple of hours in the Nelson Haven/estuary.

Once a month over summer we run a sunday afternoon race, all very social though....

South Island Surfski champs 20-22 February in nelson.

Latest Forum Topics