Progress Update

More
11 years 6 months ago #13887 by drjay9051
Progress Update was created by drjay9051
So about 2 months into surf ski and I am loving it.
I'm in a V10 Sport. Every outing gets better !
2 milestones for me this last weekend.

On Saturday went to the Gulf of Mexico (actually massive bay that empties into the Gulf. Wind was offshore about 20 MPH. Tide was coming in. Girlfriend and I went over to a little island a mile offshore. She took the kayak I took the Epic. Not too bad. Time to go back and I never thought I would get there. I looked at the conditions and felt pretty insecure. Lots of chop and wind in my face. Worst part was when the wind was abeam. Very unstable but I made it back. When I read about you accomplished paddlers doing a Miller's Run etc I feel like I have a long road ahead. I am enjoying the journey nonetheless.

Sunday: Took a trip up the Rainbow River. Spring fed here in Florida. Crystal clear water at a constant 73 degrees F. Paddled up and back for a total of 6.6 miles. For me this was a long paddle. Towards the end (mile 5) I was so fatigued I just lost it and took a swim.
Refreshing! I need to continue to lose weight and work on my core.
My stroke needs lots of work. I continue to watch Forward Stroke video. I have a good plant(entry). I did notice I was exiting too far aft which upset my balance. Also was not letting the blade travel freely away from the ski. I was fighting it a bit. Now it feels much smoother.

I don't know if I will ever get my legs to pump like I see in some videos but I'm concentrating on driving my heels into the footboard for now.

Lots to learn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13890 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: Progress Update
Thats what makes paddling fun, there is always something to work on and keep the mind occupied. If your having real problems getting some where with beam on winds, try a zig zag.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics